PREP Postdoctoral Associate Position at NIST
The Professional Research Experience Program (PREP) is a special partnership between the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and CU Boulder. PREP provides research opportunities to CU undergraduate and graduate students, as well as researchers with a Bachelor's, Master's, or PhD in NIST labs to gain research experience alongside NIST scientists.
The Communications Technology Laboratory (CTL) at NIST is looking to fill their Filter Design Postdoc Position through PREP.
Filter Design Postdoc Position
Develop narrowband filters for high-speed/mm-wave/terahertz electrical signals generated from optical signals. Fabrication of resonators and manifolds using microfabrication techniques including photolithography, e-beam lithography, plasma reactive ion etching, and metal deposition techniques. Integration of resonators devices with optics and on-chip electronics.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
• Fabricate resonators devices from novel material systems (UHR silicon, alumina, SrTiO3) by microfabrication techniques in NIST cleanroom facility.
• Characterize material and device properties using optical, electrical, and imaging techniques.
• Work as a team to integrate resonators with photomixers, frequency comb, and on-wafer electronics.
• Provide technical input in formulating research solutions on problems which have been recognized as critical obstacles to progress or development in areas of exceptional interest.
• Studies will result in a series of publications, providing important changes to existing products, processes, techniques, or practices.
• Present technical results.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Experience with microfabrication techniques such as: photolithography, e-beam lithography, plasma reactive ion etching, physical vapor deposition of metals
• Experience with characterization techniques such as: SEM, TEM, XRD, AFM, Hall measurements, pump-probe or photoconductive decay measurements.
• Experience with lasers, optical components, linear network analysis, four-probe, load-pull, and large signal network analysis.
• Ability to code with Matlab, python, or other object-oriented language
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List System) check. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at [email protected]
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Reference Letters (Not Confidential), Unofficial transcript(s), Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below
Application Materials Instructions:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Cover Letter; 2 - Curriculum Vitae; 3 - The document uploaded for Proof of Degree can be a Transcript which shows the date the degree was conferred; Copy of Diploma; or official letter from the Registrar or the Dean of the School or College conferring the degree; and 4 - Letter of Recommendation This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 11107 - Physics - NIST PREP
Posting Date: May 1, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lisa Valencia
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00745651