Job ID: 24727
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 7750
Department: Student Health Center
Classification: Physician Specialty Care
Salary Range: $12,819/month - $24,950/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
*Qualified applicants may be offered a 10, 11, or 12 month position. Options for Full-Time or Part-Time status will also be discussed.*
The Student Health Center (SHC) provides limited psychiatric services for students as an augmented service to regularly registered students. Psychiatric services may include diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic psychiatric illness. A SHC Psychiatrist is expected to obtain a detailed intake assessment, as well as to order any appropriate laboratory tests to support diagnostic evaluations. A SHC psychiatrist may, when appropriate, refer students, to other practitioners with the SJSU Health / Wellness Center. Chronic psychiatric illness may require referral to community resources for more extensive follow-up and treatment.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of acute and chronic psychiatric disorders.
- Makes appropriate referrals for problems outside field of expertise and/or beyond the scope of the SHC and Counseling services.
- Counseling and instruction for patients concerning stress management and other modalities for prevention of psychiatric illness.
- Prepares progress reports, and informs supervisor of project status and deviation from goals. Ensures completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of all operational functions.
Education and Experience
Graduation from a medical school and completion of one or more residency programs and/or fellowships accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) or equivalent in a specialty appropriate to their assigned specialty duties.
License & Certificates
Physicians - Specialty Services must possess and maintain:
- A valid license to practice medicine in the State of California.
- Current board certification in an American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) or American Osteopathic Association (AOA) specialty or subspecialty appropriate for their assigned specialty duties.
- A valid Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) registration and number for prescribing controlled substances.
- Current cardiopulmonary resuscitation and automated external defibrillator (CPR/AED) certification as appropriate for the assigned duties.
- Experience with teenage and young adult health concerns and opportunities.
- 1 year practicing as Psychiatrist.
- Organizational efforts to support community resilience and wellbeing.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of current and advanced principles of general psychiatry, including knowledge of available community resources and how to use them.
- Demonstrated skills in diagnostic clinical decision-making and critical thinking.
- Demonstrated ability to provide accurate psychiatric diagnosis and treatment.
- Working knowledge of ethics and standards of local and national medical associations and understanding local, state, and federal government regulations.
- Working knowledge of software applicable to this position, such as medical record and scheduling software.
- Excellent oral and written communication sufficient to communicate with both patients and SHC staff.
- Ability to quickly assess emergency psychiatric situations and provide the necessary prompt course of action.
- Knowledge of community resources for referral of medical and/or mental health care and treatment in the specialty beyond the scope of the Student Health Center or Counseling Services practice.
August 29, 2018
Application Screening begins September 13, 2018.
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046