Assistant Director of Undergraduate Admissions for Marketing & Communications
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date August 29, 2018
Position Title Assistant Director of Undergraduate Admissions for Marketing & Communications
Vacancy # V-1537
Department Undergraduate Admissions
Division Student Devel And Campus Life
Reporting to the Director of Undergraduate Admissions, the Assistant Director oversees the planning and execution of the Undergraduate Admissions communication plan in support of the University's new student enrollment efforts. The Assistant Director works closely with the Director to plan and strategize traditional and digital marketing efforts designed to support our recruitment priorities and events/programming.
The role of the Assistant Director provides analytics and digital media support for the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. The Assistant Director has a comprehensive understanding of marketing and integrated communications strategies to optimize reach, constituent engagement, and the attainment of aggressive student enrollment goals. The Assistant Director contributes in the areas of researching, conceptualizing, producing, publishing, and measuring effective traditional and digital marketing and communications and participates in other recruitment and enrollment activities as assigned.
- Works closely with the Director of Admissions to develop and implement a sophisticated and sustained communication plan and marketing strategies aimed at a number of internal and external constituents.
- Oversees annual communication planning, analyzes and reports on relevant data, and makes adjustments and recommendations accordingly.
- Continues to expand and enhance the Office's social media reach; employs new and creative tactics for engaging with our prospective student population and their influencers.
- Works closely with the Associate Director for Recruitment & Community Engagement to align our recruitment and marketing efforts.
- Works closely with the Associate Director for Recruitment & Community Engagement to maintain and evaluate relationships with third party vendors that generate inquiries and develop prospective student interests.
- Serves as the liaison to the Office of University Communications.
- Develops and implements metrics to assess and refine the University's undergraduate recruitment efforts.
- Establishes, maintains, and builds upon relationships with internal (Deans, department chairs, campus partners, etc.) and external stakeholders (parents, guidance counselors, etc.) in support of our enrollment goals.
- Supplements the University's recruitment efforts by presenting at on and off-campus recruitment events.
- Counsels and communicates with prospective students, parents, and guidance counselors through one-on-one interviews, group presentations, open houses, receptions, and other recruitment events.
- Serves on ad hoc committees as required.
- Represents and acts for the Director as directed.
- Serves as the primary administrator for all web pages and accounts associated with the digital marketing and communications efforts of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
- Performs data-driven analyses of all aspects of recruitment and prospective student and influencer interactions, providing recommendations for improvement.
- Serves as a liaison between CRM administrators and the admissions staff to analyze recruitment and admissions data, external marketing analytics and other resources to enhance and streamline recruitment and enrollment yield.
- Works with the Associate Director to develop content for social media and regularly monitor the social media presence of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions across multiple channels.
- Monitors the University's image on third-party college search sites, responds accordingly, and makes regular reports on findings to strategize and implement action.
- Regularly reviews the content of the Undergraduate Admissions website, makes appropriate recommendations and edits, and develops new content for publication on this format according to the goals of the department.
- Utilizes established and new tools for analytics and determining return on investment associated with digital marketing and communications and creates reports for further review and action.
- Assists in the development of strategies to integrate social media and other web efforts into the broader communication plan for the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
- Assists in the creation, copywriting, evaluation, and deployment of Undergraduate Admissions email campaigns.
- Repurposes digital content for other communications, including but not limited to print publications, press releases, event communications, and video production.
- Works closely, and under the direction of the Associate Director of Undergraduate Admissions, with other departments to ensure consistency in data, strategy and brand execution.
- Participates in the execution of other facets of the communication plan as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
Qualifications & Requirements
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- A demonstrated ability to communicate effectively (written and spoken) to a variety of constituents.
- At least two (2) years of direct experience developing and managing a communication plan, preferably in a higher education or non profit setting
- A demonstrated comfort with utilizing technology and software, including but not limited to, Microsoft Office Suite, instant messaging, blogging, a wide variety of social media, web content management systems, and database software.
- Previous experience building and maintaining a complex communication plan with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software is required.
- A valid driver's license and a willingness to cover student recruitment events as necessary. Some evening and weekend work is required.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, the ability to think creatively and analytically, and the willingness to work both autonomously and within a group setting is required.
- The incumbent must possess the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and demonstrate superlative customer service skills.
- Experience in the areas of education, community outreach, recruitment, or marketing is a plus.
- Fluency in a language other than English is desired.
- Demonstrated experience managing social media and/or other marketing projects is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of Banner and Slate is a plus.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION