SBTDC Business Specialist Assistant/Associate/Full Extension Professional - St. Louis, MO
Job ID 27668
Full/Part Time Full-Time
Location St. Louis
MU Extension's distinct land-grant mission is to improve lives, communities and economies by producing relevant, reliable and responsive educational strategies throughout Missouri. Our dedicated and knowledgeable faculty and staff collaborate with researchers and community leaders to develop and deliver programs that address needs of Missourians including: educational attainment; environmental concerns; community, economic, business and workforce development; global food systems; and health systems. For more information about MU Extension please visit http://extension.missouri.edu.
This position has responsibilities with the Missouri Small Business and Technology Development Centers.
The Missouri Small Business and Technology Development Center (MO SBTDC), which is a partnership with the U.S. Small Business Administration, focuses on assisting small businesses in any stage of evolution with financial analysis, marketing strategies, management issues and technology access. Services are provided via individualized consultations with a business management counselor or through educational sessions on a wide variety of topics.
Small and medium enterprises are an essential element of the Missouri economy generating new jobs, increasing sales, attracting investments and contributing to the tax base. The Business Development Program is an important component of the state's economic development strategy and the University of Missouri's economic development mission. For more information about extension's business SBTDC program visit http://www.missouribusiness.net/.
Program development, delivery and evaluation
- Plan: Work with constituents, colleagues, directors and faculty to establish program goals that meet local, regional and state needs, as well as grant and partnership requirements.
- Educate: Provide client counseling including federal, state, and local government procurement assistance in the areas of registrations, certifications, bid matching, marketing, procurement histories, bid/quote preparation, technical assistance for start-up and existing small businesses in the areas of finance, management and marketing. Conduct assessments of client needs, provide services and make referrals if necessary to other technical assistance providers.
Conduct educational offerings for owners and managers of small businesses in the areas of business start-up, business expansion, marketing, financial management and human resources. and other assistance through one-on-one counseling. Conduct assessments of client needs, provide services and make referrals if necessary to other specialists. Additionally, develop and conduct workshops in a variety of areas of small business development, particularly focused on small businesses including small disadvantaged business concerns (SDB), women owned small businesses (WOSB), HUBZone small businesses (HUBZone), and service disabled veteran owned small businesses (SDVOSB). Foster diversity and inclusiveness by providing services to audiences that are representative of diversity in the assigned counties.
- Collaborate: Serve as a critical link between Missouri companies and the faculty, research staff, of the University of Missouri System, and the MU Extension Business Development Programs. Participate in interdisciplinary teams, committees and task forces. Work with faculty and staff located in county offices, across program disciplines and regions, with boards and organizations and with other campuses throughout Missouri to carry out the mission, vision and values of MU Extension.
- Deliver: Specialist must assist, as appropriate, clients with understanding Federal, State and local government requirements applicable to contracting for services, manufacturing, construction or other markets.
100% SBTDC - with specialization in emerging and 2nd stage business and innovation-led businesses, fostering support with minority and under-served populations. The support would be focused on St. Louis
Actively network and promote the program to area lenders, economic developers and chamber through memberships, speaking engagements or collaboration on training events and other projects.
As with all positions involvement with other duties and responsibilities will be expected to support the mission and purpose of MU Extension.
- Evaluate: Facilitate significant business impact by achieving goals in (SBTDC) new sales, new jobs, business investments, quality and quantity of stakeholder relations, etc.. (Regularly collect qualitative and quantitative data to evaluate the impact of educational programs and services. Determine if knowledge and skills were learned, and if learning was applied.
Administrative and organizational leadership
- Resource generation and sustainability: Generate and manage revenue (e.g., contracts, grants, fees and gifts) to sustain and grow essential programs. Seek out and develop funding sources that align with organizational priorities, values and mission. Ensure compliance with requirements, and maintain fiscal accountability.
- Stakeholder relations: Establish positive working relationships with the local and regional economic development organizations, critical community governments, and federal and state agency offices in region, chambers of commerce and business stakeholders. Develop and maintain essential partnerships with local and regional organizations, governments and key leaders. Effectively communicate MU Extension's value to stakeholders.
- Marketing and public relations: Market educational offerings and promote the mission of MU Extension to area leaders, chambers of commerce, civic organizations, public agencies and other partner organizations. This may include presentations, radio and news releases, meetings with legislators and other leaders, social media and other venues appropriate for the programs and audiences.
- Remain up-to-date on trends and research-based knowledge to effectively deliver relevant, reliable and responsive programs. Apply this knowledge in scholarly products such as curriculum development, in-service education instruction, articles in professional and popular press, presentations at professional meetings, funded grant proposals, etc.
- Actively participate in professional development opportunities to continuously improve skills and increase research-based knowledge. Demonstrate mastery of core competencies, including subject matter expertise, effective and innovative teaching strategies, and program development processes. Must be able to integrate new and emerging technology, listen effectively, and speak and write effectively. Must demonstrate organizational skills and collaborative leadership abilities.
- Must travel throughout Missouri regularly, using own transportation, and occasionally must travel out of state. Working evenings and weekends is required to meet the needs of constituents.
Conduct all activities in accordance with the Civil Rights Acts, Title IX, Rehabilitation, Americans with Disabilities Act and local, state and region affirmative action plans. Other duties and responsibilities will be expected to support the mission and purpose of MU Extension.
Administrative and program leadership is received from the Senior Business and Communities Program Director or his/her designee.
Master's degree in business, engineering, business education, or related area with appropriate coursework., related areas include government procurement, marketing, finance, accounting, management, human resources, operations management, e-commerce or entrepreneurship. Demonstrated ability in applying and transferring research-based knowledge in the above subject matter areas.
Education or experience in engineering or manufacturing.
Successful candidate will also demonstrate the following:
Effective and innovative teaching strategies that engage others. Must be able to integrate new and emerging technology into teaching strategies.
Effective listening, written and oral communication skills including public speaking and presentation abilities. Organizational skills, interpersonal skills, problem-solving abilities and collaborative leadership experiences.
Flexibility, resiliency, and the ability to operate with minimal guidance. Positive outlook, high personal standard of excellence, and passion for the vision, mission and values of MU Extension.
This position is eligible for University benefits. The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision plans, retirement, and educational fee discounts. For additional information on University benefits, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor of Human Resource Services/Affirmative Action officer at 573-882-4256.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Disability Inclusion and ADA Compliance Manager at 573-884-7278.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links: