Assistant Director of Ceremonies and Events
Job ID: 24721
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3312
Department: Special Events
Classification: Administrator II
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Commensurate with experience
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The Assistant Director of Ceremonies and Events fills a critical role in support of the planning and implementation of multiple, high profile events at San Jose State University and provides leadership to year-round planning for Commencement, Honors Convocation and other key events for the campus community. These activities include providing support to various units, offices and programs, including the Office of the President, Vice President for University Advancement and Provost. Activities are both recurring and one-time and include; ceremonies, lectures, speaker series, donor events, and building ceremonies including ground breakings, dedications, etc. Assures that high profile, high-impact events, keynote speaker engagements, and special events hosted by the university follow appropriate protocol for the type of visit from elected officials or other prominent individuals.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Manage, coordinate and provide strategic direction to programs and events affiliated with departments and offices.
- Develop, prepare, and direct operational and logistical items, including event plans, scripts, run of shows, venue and staging diagrams.
- Problem solve and make decisions in advance and on- site for events based on circumstances, audience, volunteers and facilities.
- Lead teams comprising of staff and faculty from across campus programs and donor recognition events.
- Working with Strategic Communications, lead the collection and publication of printed and website content for events for Commencement and Honors Convocation.
- Monitor commencement website for to assure accuracy and updated information.
- Schedule distribution of for the Commencement Information Guide and Commencement emails; interface with and direct all schools/colleges, Registrar, Graduate Programs and others on the dissemination of all Commencement-related information to students, parents, families, and the University community.
- Manage relationships and collaborate with the school and colleges to guide them in managing their individual school and college convocation events.
- Act as the office liaison in working with various University departments in the scheduling of Convocations.
- Solicit, propose, implement and manage budgets for events and programs to include guest honorariums, equipment purchases, guest travel, vendor services, and venue costs. Review of related contracts and agreements to ensure University protocols and guidelines are in place before securing services.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Hospitality, Sales, Business or a related field. (In lieu of a degree, an additional four years of experience may be substituted for the degree).
- Four or more years of experience with academic ceremonies, event protocol, or directly related experience.
License & Certificates
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
- Experience developing plans for complex, highly visible, public events.
- Project management skills
- Experience with stage layout and technical design
- Experience preparing and briefing speakers and other highly visible leaders and guests
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to work independently, while developing implementing and evaluating programs to assure they meet University Advancement and Department objectives.
- Ability to provide leadership on campus-wide events and programs that serve the needs of the Presidents Office and / or build Spartan Pride.
- Thorough knowledge of event planning practices and protocol.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, business writing, punctuation and spelling. - Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of office systems and ability to use broader range of technology, systems, and packages.
- Ability to draft and compose correspondence and standard reports.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and time constraints
- Ability to work off-hours, including weekends and nights.
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple administrative and clerical tasks for a variety of users, set schedules, complete projects accordingly.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Ability to possess a valid drivers license and/or independent means of transportation to go to various locations on and off campus.
- Ability to work weekend and evenings when assigned.
- Ability to perform standard business math, such as calculate ratios and percentages, track financial data, and make projections.
August 28, 2018
Application Screening begins September 12, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046