Director of Institutional Research
Job Posting: Director of Institutional Research
The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) is seeking a Director of Institutional Research to expand the team dedicated to advancing the quality of higher education.
In originating this position, the Director of Institutional Research leads the overall operations of institutional research at HLC by advancing a culture of evidence and inquiry. The Director develops, oversees and evolves HLC’s research plan. The Director oversees data collection and analysis for HLC, including directing the annual Institutional Update, managing projects related to data and responding to internal and external requests (such as those from the federal government) for data analysis and reports. The Director initiates and performs research analyses that support HLC’s planning, policy and decision-making needs.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Master’s degree in social/behavioral science, higher education, educational research, business, economics, statistics or related field. Ph.D. preferred.
- A minimum of seven years of experience in institutional research at a regionally accredited institution or organization related to higher education.
- Proficiency in the use of survey methodology, data modeling and interpretation.
- Experience in data analysis including hierarchical and longitudinal analysis and predictive indicators through data analytics.
- Familiarity with national trends and initiatives related to higher education data collection and analysis.
- Experience in managing major institutional projects in or related to institutional research.
- Experience working with relational databases, data warehousing, data mining, data management and data governance and ensuring data integrity.
- Experience working with multiple constituencies in higher education.
- Strong interpersonal communication, diplomacy, emotional intelligence and relationship-building skills to establish and maintain effective working partnerships with other staff members.
- Presentation and publication experience preferred.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Experience with analysis packages (such as SAS, SPSS, Modeler, Mathlab) and Business Intelligence (BI) packages (such as PowerBI, Tableau).
- Experience in data access and manipulation using SQL and other tools.
Review of nominations and applications will commence November 19, 2018. Applications may be sent by email to [email protected] No calls, please. Applications should include a letter of interest and a current resume. Electronic submissions in one PDF file are preferred. A detailed position description can be found at hlcommission.org.
HLC is the largest regional accrediting agency in the United States, serving approximately 1,000 affiliated colleges and universities in a 19-state region. HLC has approximately 65 employees. HLC offers a competitive salary and a rich benefits package, including an employer contribution of 10 percent of base salary to a retirement plan and 20 vacation days, in addition to the office closing the week of Dec. 24–Jan. 1. HLC is an equal opportunity employer.