The Division of Marketing and Communications tells UND"s story. The Division works with various schools, colleges, and administrative units to provide creative and strategic communications that support UND's mission. In addition to marketing and communications, the Division is responsible for Government Relations and University Events and Ceremonies.
This position is responsible for development and implementation of media and communications strategies for UND, school and colleges, and programs. They are responsible for developing strategic media plans, coordinating the public relations, UND Today, and social medial editorial calendar. They will also manage media contacts, pitch stories, and respond appropriately to media inquiries.
Other duties include but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement media and communications strategies for UND, school, colleges, and programs. Serve as media spokesperson.
- Work closely with the Vice President for Marketing and Communications, academic program offices, alumni relations and schools and colleges to define and articulate relevant messages, manage media coverage, support market positioning efforts, and support brand strategy initiatives.Be responsible for developing strategic media plans.
- Proactively develop and manage relationships with key local, regional, national and trade press.
- Manage media contacts, pitch stories, and respond appropriately to media inquiries.
- Create and maintain media lists using a media database (i.e., Cision, Meltwater, etc.), record media interactions and track press coverage.
- Supervise UND Today staff.
- Develop and maintain UND expert’s database.
- Coordinate public relations, UND Today and social media editorial calendar.
- Work with key constituents including the President, Vice President for Marketing and Communications, UND Marketing, Schools and Colleges, Alumni Relations, and others to develop and implement consistent and effective messages for internal and external audiences.
- Be responsible for reactive media opportunities and shaping the story to the organization's benefit, including crisis communications.
- Be responsible for coordinating responses to media open records requests.
- Provide media training and prepare subject matter experts for media interviews, with key message points, Q&A and backgrounders.
- Ability to transform organization initiatives into successful local, regional and national media coverage.
- Ability to develop, implement and measure effective communications programs for internal and external audiences.
- Ability to develop and execute strategic media plans in line with organizations' mission and brand strategy.
- Superior communications skills (written and verbal), including clarity, accuracy and persuasiveness, including exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to develop strong relationships across the organization from leadership to line staff.
- Ability to think strategically and exercise sound judgment.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Five or more years of full-time experience with media relations, social media, crisis communications and corporate communications (internal and executive communications)
- Experience developing stories and pitching stories to media, with strong media relationships.
- Experience as a media spokesperson.
- Experience developing and executing strategic public relations plans and diverse media strategies, preferably for university, educational or business-to-business organizations.
- Experience with reactive media opportunities and shaping the story to the organization's benefit, including crisis communications.
- Experience in providing media training and preparing subject matter experts for media interviews, with key message points, Q&A and backgrounders.
- Experience with social media and social strategies to deliver compelling stories in support of university initiatives.
- Experience with internal communications strategy, including online content.
- Experience with coordinating responses to media open records requests.
- Successful completion of criminal history background check.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the US and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.