PAYROLL TECHNICIAN (2 vacancies)
PAYROLL TECHNICIAN (2 vacancies)
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Position #: 1800097
Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Transcript Assoc Degree (Must include Award/Confer Date)
CLASSIFIED EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
First Review Date:
$61,883 - $75,513 Annual Salary (Range 98: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2017-2018). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Classified employees also receive vacation, 12 sick leave days and 18 paid holidays.
The Payroll Technician reports to the Assistant Director of Fiscal Services at the District Office. The work schedule is 12 months per year; 40 hours per week; Monday - Friday; 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Under the direction of Assistant Director of Fiscal Services or assigned administrator, the Payroll Technician performs technical duties in the preparation, processing and maintenance of the College's payroll for academic, classified, hourly, and special payrolls; prepares, maintains and reconciles a variety of records and reports as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Prepares, monitors, and generates payroll for assigned employee groups including academic, classified, temporary, and student employees. 2. Reviews timesheets and reconciles the totals and balances. Records changes in salaries, deductions, and other payroll information and submits changes that update master computer files. Verifies completeness of data. 3. Posts payroll-related employee data in a timely and accurate manner. Verifies and processes necessary payroll deductions for benefits and related items. Audit payroll deductions and earnings registers for reasonableness and accuracy. 4. Computes and interprets miscellaneous forms of compensation and deductions. Prepares calculations for special payroll checks, computes and prepares any necessary adjustments. 5. Administers 403(b) and/or 457 tax shelter authorizations for payroll deductions and routes requests for loan and withdrawals for appropriate approval. 6. Administers levies, advances, garnishments and other adjustment as needed; assists in reconciliation of cash and account payable to the payroll system. 7. Prepares a variety of payroll documents such as, but not limited to, edits to and manual warrants, hourly payrolls, federal withholding forms, retirement forms, 8. Audits time sheets, attendance reports or preliminary payroll lists to verify hours, rate of pay, and budget account number or monthly payroll. Audits or calculates balances of items such as sick leave, vacation, and personal leave, and ensures deductions are made accordingly. Verifies all transactions were posted to correct accounts. 9. Distributes warrants, yearly W-2 forms and retirement system statements, sick leave registers and other payroll documents as necessary. 10. Answers questions or concerns from employees requiring explanation of calculations, rules and regulations governing District payroll processing. Provides employees with necessary forms and assist employees with questions regarding payroll procedures, tax shelters and voluntary deductions. Assists employees with miscellaneous questions and requests. 11. Interacts closely with Human Resources, Budgeting, and other District functions to assure all information regarding payroll adjustments, problems, employment status, and salary accounts are up to date and accurate. 12. Prepares employer information for court subpoenas. Responds to and sets up payroll adjustments for garnishments and other forms of salary reduction. 13. May prepare payroll distributions such as journal vouchers for charging appropriate payroll costs to departments. 14. May provide accounting data entry support to accounts payable, receivable, and general ledger. 15. Performs other duties related to the job classification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS Knowledge of: 1. Preparation, maintenance, verification and processing of payroll records. 2. Laws, regulations, and procedures that govern payroll and payroll processing. 3. In-depth technical knowledge of payroll accounting practices, terminology of payroll accounting practices, clerical and office procedures and methods, business mathematics and record keeping. 4. Working knowledge of spreadsheet programs and in-depth procedural knowledge of the data entry system for payroll and other fiscal information. 5. Sufficient knowledge of labor and other contracts to properly interpret and calculate salaries. 6. Sufficient human relation skill to convey personal and technical information to others and to exercise patience in frustrating exchange of information. 7. Sufficient writing skill to document conversation, prepare memos. And prepare procedures. 8. Sufficient math skills compute and segregate payroll and related accounting information. Skills and Ability to: 1. Enter data onto standardized formats within computerized database program using keyboards, basic keyboarding or 10-jey sills and calculators. 2. Perform arithmetic operations quickly and accurately. 3. Analyze and interpret payroll and compensation policies and procedures. 4. Use a range of personal computer software such as spreadsheets, word processing, and databases. 5. Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted during the course of work. 6. Analyze situations and implement effective solutions.
Special Licenses, Certificates, etc.:
May require a valid driver’s license.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Associate’s degree in accounting, finance or related field.
2. Three years’ experience in the maintenance of financial or statistical records.
3. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve; and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
4. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable
1. Requires sufficient hand-eye coordination to use a personal computer keyboard for routine typing, 10-key, and data entry, plus arm/hand movements to retrieve work materials and operate a variety of general office equipment. Requires visual acuity to recognize alphanumeric data. Requires auditory ability to carry on conversations in person and over the phone.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District:
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2017, with enrollment of approximately 18,500 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 44%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 0.5%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District's emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse classified staff consisting of 41% Hispanic/Latino, 26% Asian/Pacific Islander, 5% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 22% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
Human Resources/Employment Services, 40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113, (408) 270-6414.
Application Procedures, Notes and Contact Info:
Interested applicants MUST SUBMIT ONLINE ALL of the following materials by the closing date to be considered for the position (Posting at: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com. Click "APPLY"):
1. A completed online San Jose/Evergreen Community College District POSITION APPLICATION
2. COVER LETTER (Must state how you meet ALL the minimum qualifications in EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE as described in the job announcement Minimum Qualifications section. Also, state how you meet other qualifications)
3. RESUME, and
4. TRANSCRIPT(S) - NOT DIPLOMAS - (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees (having confer/award dates) or courses. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered. If foreign degrees, must submit Equivalency Certification (See #6 of the Instruction Section below).
If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application at the later part of the application process.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Employment Services
40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 270-6414 Fax: (408) 239-8818
Email: [email protected]
Web site @ https://jobs.sjeccd.edu. or www.sjeccd.edu.
To learn more about us and all our open positions, visit: http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency