Dean, College of Business and Economic Development
118 College Drive
Hattiesburg, Mississippi, 39406-0001
Division College of Business and Economic Development
Position Type Administrative Faculty
Employment Status Full Time
Grant Funded No
Posting Close Date 1/15/2019
Special Instructions to Applicants
-Contacts for 5 references uploaded as an attachment
Work Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday. Some night and weekend work will be required.
The University of Southern Mississippi invites applications for the Dean of the College of Business and Economic Development. With 2300 graduate and undergraduate students, and growing online programs, the college is one of the premier business schools in the region. Preference will be given to candidates whose applications are complete by January 15, 2019. Applicants should visit www.usm.edu/provost/business-dean-search for the complete job profile.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean of the College of Business and Economic Development will plan, develop, and coordinate all administrative and academic proceedings for a wide range of programs and services that enhance the quality of faculty and student academic life in the college. The Dean will also engage in strategic planning and implementation to align the college with the Academic Master Plan and the University's Strategic Plan and ensure all initiatives are consistent with the mission and vision of the Office of the Provost and The University of Southern Mississippi. The Dean will be a highly visible representative of the College and the University, advocating for the College and the institution with alumni and business leaders. The Dean will lead more than 70 faculty and staff and oversee an $8 million operating budget.
The ideal candidate will have:
- an earned doctorate or terminal degree in business or a related field or comparable professional and/or academic experience; a record of distinguished scholarly or similar accomplishments; and a strong commitment to research, teaching, and service in a field appropriate for appointment as a full professor in one of the academic programs in the college,
- a demonstrated track record of administrative experience and/or academic leadership, and a portfolio of professional successes,
- strong and proven capabilities in complex organizational management including strategic planning, financial stewardship, budget creation, resource allocation, human resource management, risk management, and related decision-making,
- the proven ability to work collaboratively with leaders across organizations,
- exemplary interpersonal and communication skills, and
- impeccable integrity, sense of professionalism, and sound judgment.
Desired qualities and capacities of the Dean include:
- a strong commitment to business and economic development and the capacity for working across disciplines and professions to enhance learning throughout the University,
- an understanding of and respect for Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) accreditation and the accreditation process of diverse disciplines,
- a history of innovative and effective leadership in a consultative and collaborative academic environment,
- significant experience in recruiting, retaining, and nurturing faculty, including a well-developed ability to gauge academic quality and an appreciation for the vital importance of hiring and promotion decisions in creating and sustaining excellence in the University,
- knowledge and entrepreneurship in envisioning, managing, and facilitating access to the internal and external sources of funding necessary to build and sustain excellence in research and educational programs,
- an aptitude and enthusiasm for fundraising to support the College’s mission,
- a commitment to collaboration with and effective supervision of college leaders, such as Assistant and Associate Deans and School Directors,
- a well-developed sense of how to allocate resources to fulfill the priorities of the College’s and University’s strategic plans,
- a deft hand in managing procedural details and facilitating shared governance with a spirit of openness and generosity of understanding,
- a commitment to working in partnership with University leadership, including the President, the Provost, Vice Presidents, Vice and Associate Provosts, and the other academic Deans, and
- resilience, thoughtfulness in speech, responsiveness, and fair-mindedness.
About The University of Southern Mississippi
Founded in 1910, The University of Southern Mississippi is a comprehensive doctoral and research-driven university with a proud history and an eye on the future. A dual-campus university, Southern Miss serves students on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, in addition to five teaching and research sites in Mississippi and through Online at Southern Miss. Since 2006, our students have collected three Truman Scholarships and 18 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships. USM students also lead Mississippi with 21 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Our Drapeau Center for Undergraduate Research affords our students meaningful research opportunities, and as a proven leader in innovation, we conduct transformative research that translates into real-world solutions. As one of only 36 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music, we are a haven for creativity and artistic expression. In the classroom or lab, on the playing field, or in the performance hall, we strive to have a positive impact not only on our students, but also the world around us. Further information is found at www.usm.edu.
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.