Position Title: Research Associate
Position Number: 002873
Full-time or Part-time: Full Time
Department: Department of Chemistry and Physics
Posting Number: 0401236
SHRA/EHRA: EHRA (Non-Faculty)
Job Category: Professional
Hiring Range: Commensurate with Education and Experience
Minimum salary: Commensurate with Education and Experience
Maximum salary: Commensurate with Education and Experience
Overall Position Competency: Flat Rate
Description of primary duties and responsibilities:
Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit:
The Southeastern North Carolina Regional Micro Analytical and Imaging Consortium (SENCR-MIC) was established by the Army Research Office (ARO), Department of Defense (DoD) in 2009. Two electron microscopes were purchased, including a world-class Field-Emission Electron Microprobe Analyzer (EMPA) and a Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM). To support the expanding research on Materials Science, additional grants have been awarded to FSU and additional instruments have been purchased. SENCR-MIC has been serving as an open platform for faculty, staff and students at Fayetteville State University and external users from academic, governmental and industrial agencies to conduct cutting-edge research and transformative education in the southeast North Carolina region and beyond.
Description of Work Continued:
Primary Purpose of the Position:
This position will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of all research facilities of the SENCR-MIC.
• Establishing standard operational procedures (SOPs) of all instruments at SENCR-MIC and training users on all instruments using SOPs.
• Supporting faculty with teaching and conducting labs for students, including group demonstration or individual student training as needed.
• Providing technical support and professional service to users as needed, such as scheduling, sample preparation, instrument running, data acquisition and processing.
• Conducting routine preparation, tuning of instruments, instrument maintenance and minor repairs.
• Maintaining clean and organized rooms, to include routine safety inspections.
• Recording and keeping track of all of the instrument uses and log sheets for billing.
• Ordering supplies for the SENCR-MIC.
• Reporting to the Director with any problems within the SENCR-MIC.
• Other duties as assigned by the Director.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
Minimum of bachelors degree in Material Science, Geosciences, Engineering, Chemistry, Physics or other disciplines. Experience in electron microprobe or SEM analysis is required and experiences in TEM, AFM and XRD are optimum. Outstanding oral and written communication skills and must be able to work with a wide range of users, including faculty, staff, visiting scientists and students under supervision of the Director.
Knowledge skills and abilities:
The Research Associate will support all aspects relevant to SENCR-MIC, including day-to-day maintenance of the instruments, training the facility users, maintaining and updating the facilities logbooks, and assuring safety and secure facility under the supervision of the Director. Major duties include training diverse internal and external users on the instruments, providing technical assistance to users, conducting professional services based on user fees, teaching student labs for formal courses, and other duties as assigned by the Director. The Research Associate is responsible for the day-to-day operations and maintenance of instruments at SENCR-MIC.
Master's degree (PhD acceptable) in Material Science, Geosciences, Engineering, Chemistry, Physics or other disciplines. Experience in electron microprobe or SEM analysis is required and experiences in TEM, AFM and XRD are optimum. Outstanding oral and written communication skills and must be able to work with a wide range of users, including faculty, staff, visiting scientists and students under supervision of the Director.
Open Until Filled: Yes
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your highest level of completed education?
- High School/GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- * Is your highest level degree in Material Science, Geosciences, Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, or other closely related discipline?
- * Do you have prior experience in electron microprobe or SEM analysis?
- * Do you have prior experience in TEM, AFM and/or XRD?
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Other Document
This position is subject to the successful completion of an employment background check. An employment background check includes a criminal background check, employment verification, reference checks, license verification (if applicable), academic verification and credit history check (if applicable).
Fayetteville State University is committed to equality of educational opportunity and employment and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status. Moreover, Fayetteville State University values diversity and actively seeks to recruit talented students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Fayetteville State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and seeks priority referrals of protected veterans for our openings.