Department Head (Full or Associate Professor)
Functional Title Department Head (Full or Associate Professor)
Position Type Department Chairs
The Department of Interior Architecture (IARc) at the University of North Carolina Greensboro invites applications for the position of Department Head. IARc is a close-knit community of makers, doers, and scholars who represent a variety of disciplines and embrace traditional and creative types of scholarship that inform the design of the built environment. With 10 full-time faculty and an enrollment of 180+ undergraduates and 10 graduate students, the department offers a CIDA accredited first professional degree (BFA) and a post-professional (MFA) degree in Interior Architecture.
The ideal candidate is an innovative and energetic leader who will make significant contributions to our studio-based undergraduate and graduate programs. We seek a collegial department head who can provide visionary leadership and direction to a dynamic department; guide shared governance through transparency and involvement of faculty and staff in departmental decision-making; encourage cross-disciplinary work that promotes collaboration and community engagement; and contribute to the common interests of the College of Arts and Sciences. For additional information, please visit our website at https://iarc.uncg.edu/.
UNCG is a Minority Serving Institution, with an undergraduate population of 44% ethnic minority students. UNCG is proud of the diversity of its student body and we seek to attract an equally diverse applicant pool for this position. UNCG is located in a metropolitan area of more than 1.6 million in the Piedmont region of North Carolina, between the Atlantic Ocean and the Appalachian mountains. UNCG is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/D/V employer and are strongly committed to increasing faculty diversity. (http://web.uncg.edu/hrs/).
Department Head, 10-month appointment beginning August 1, 2019.
- Manage departmental operations including budget planning and implementation, course scheduling, written reports as required, and negotiating contracts and salary for faculty and staff
- Mentor faculty and stimulate and support departmental teaching, traditional and creative forms of scholarship, and service
- Foster students' progression through the curriculum regarding, e.g., admissions, transfer credits, and course substitutions
- Promote departmental achievements and accomplishments
- Represent the department in the college, university, state, and professional organizations
- Maintain an active program of peer-reviewed scholarship or creative activity
- Teach one course per semester in area of specialization
- Terminal degree in interior design or related field with demonstrated expertise in interiors
- Academic experience in both undergraduate and graduate education
- Previous administrative or professional leadership experience in a public institution
Tenure Status Tenure
Special Instructions to Applicants
Application materials must be electronically submitted through UNCGjobsearch and should include a 3-5 page letter addressing your interest in the position, leadership experience and style, teaching philosophy, and scholarship; a portfolio with examples of student work and personal creative or traditional forms of scholarly work; a curriculum vita.
**Applicants are asked to provide the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of at least four (4) contacts, in the References section of the electronic application. These References will be solicited by the UNCGjobsearch system via email, and asked to provide a confidential Letter of Reference/Recommendation on behalf of the applicant. This will occur when the applicant is selected for a "short list" of applicants.
Position is open until filled but for full consideration submit your application materials by October 15, 2018. Direct inquiries to Professor Jo Leimenstoll (jrleimen[email protected])
Recruitment Range Competitive
Org #-Department Interior Architecture - 12406
Job Open Date 08/29/2018
For Best Consideration Date 10/15/2018
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment Permanent
Number of Months per Year 10
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Link to Professional Portfolio
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu