Full-Time Faculty Position in Fashion Design-Menswear
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology, of the State University of New York, invites nominations and applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position in the Fashion Design Department, School of Art and Design.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for nearly 70 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The College continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instructional design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.
The School of Art and Design offers 17-degree programs and is home to fashion majors, a breadth of visual communication majors and fields as unique as toy design and visual presentation and exhibition design.
Art and Design faculty are industry professionals and foster meaningful curriculum that seeks to maximize the creative and technical potential in each student. Each major in the School of Art and Design is committed to stimulating analytical and independent thinking and faculty are committed to enriching student knowledge of global influences. Faculty members prepare students for entry and advancement in art and design careers and provide a collaborative environment that offers a rich and diverse array of interdisciplinary art and design-related projects and competitions.
The Fashion Design program provides the expertise and skill sets needed by students and alumni to qualify for top creative positions in the fashion industry and related fields. A rigorous, exciting AAS and BFA curriculum delivers coursework and proficiencies that promote conceptual design development and hands-on technical skills, coupled with digital acumen. Faculty members are networked industry design professionals who draw upon contacts and collaborations within the industry to provide students with the necessary associations and experiences for a successful FIT career and launch into industry post-graduation.
The ideal candidate will be an established menswear/interdisciplinary fashion designer with significant experience in menswear design leadership, particularly in sportswear. Active sportswear, cut and sewn knits and sweater knits expertise is highly desirable. The candidate must be fluent and current with successful industry practices and possess strong design development, team, and brand building skills. The successful candidate will have hand drawing, digital design and CAD knowledge, preferably inclusive of such areas as PLM or avatar-based programs as well as hand-on creative patternmaking and construction apparel development skills.
The selected candidate will cultivate an in-depth personal area of strength at the time tenure has been earned, including but not limited to: relevant research; expertise in fashion technology and/or innovation; fashion show presentations or exhibitions; writing curriculum, grants, proposals; and/or other areas of specialty. The candidate must be well-versed in piloting interdisciplinary and collaborative work critical to the mission of the department, school and college.
The successful candidate will work collaboratively to establish and implement a vision in support of the strategic goals of the department and the school as well as a commitment to innovation. Full-time faculty responsibilities include service to the department, school and institution in the form of committee participation, initiative advancement, and contributions to the day-to-day operations of the department.
The successful candidate will excel in the following areas:
- Demonstrate ability to work with, support, and maintain productive relationships in multicultural environments, and model inclusive behavior for students.
- Demonstrate awareness and values of sustainable design globally, and the ability to apply these values to the design process responsibly?environmentally, socially and fiscally.
- Demonstrate ability to incorporate a variety of instructional delivery methods including the use of demonstrations and specific project assignments.
- Demonstrate ability to use technology and electronic information to deliver course materials to students.
- Demonstrate ability to be responsive to industry changes and/or practices including technology.
- Embrace the role of faculty as facilitators, mentors, and integrators of information and knowledge.
- Demonstrate conceptual development, collection/line building through standard technical and conceptual skill sets for apparel prototype making/creation.
- Demonstrate firsthand knowledge of current and emerging fashion design development, team and brand building processes with the ability to guide students in implementing these processes.
- Demonstrate ability to synthesize and move readily between conceptual and established hands-on methodologies in the design development process.
- Possess the ability to inspire and encourage curiosity and creativity.
- Demonstrate ability to create learning experiences that foster critical thinking, problem solving and informed design skills.
- Utilize professional knowledge and experience to foster collaboration and teamwork in the classroom.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively speak on behalf of the department and/or college with industry supporters and professionals.
- Maintain engagement with and currency in the apparel industry through professional activities, in self-directed scholarly and/or innovative developmental research and/or expression through creative works.
- Participate actively in the fashion industry through professional networks, organizations and affiliations.
- Maintain a continued focus on creative developmental and/or scholarly work specific to the discipline.
- Demonstrate the ability to organize and lead committees, and to undertake special initiatives, for the department and the college.
- Demonstrate strong leadership and model professional behavior in all interpersonal relationships.
- Demonstrate knowledge of advancing social media, e-commerce, and other brand positioning innovations, and evolving practices as utilized for emerging design and retail practices as well as a commitment to innovation.
- Demonstrate a track record of proven experience and commitment to maintaining technological skills and knowledge relevancy.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Minimum of six (6) years of professional experience as a menswear/interdisciplinary fashion designer.
- Presentation of a strong fashion portfolio showcasing professional work inclusive of relevant press and/or industry acknowledgements is required. Master's degree preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years college-level teaching is preferred.
- Strong preference will be given to candidates with digital skills and specific apparel software skills designer professionals.
The College reserves the right to select one or more candidates after having been duly reviewed and presented to the President in conformance with the provisions of Article 15 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement
This is a full-time, tenure-track position beginning in Fall 2019. Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received by November 19, 2018. Salary and appointment rank will be based on education level and cumulative experience. Please note that a background check is required for appointment to this position.
Online applications are required. Please note applications without all application materials will not be considered.
For consideration, please provide:
- A cover letter of interest (.pdf format) clearly indicating your qualifications and how they relate to the position.
- Professional Resume/Curriculum Vitae (.pdf format).
- Digital portfolio in .pdf format (less than 40 MB) with garment hand and digital sketches/photo examples of current professional fashion design representing innovation in the specified area OR a URL link to a professional portfolio website.
- A .pdf (less than 40 MB) of a press kit or lookbook(s).
Candidates whose applications are accepted will be contacted by the search committee and will be requested to subsequently submit the following:
- A .pdf of a professional portfolio with five (5) additional samples of recent fashion design work (i.e. fashion sketches, garment photos or samples, and/or technical design packages).
- The search committee may assign a skills assessment project/test to short-listed candidates.
- A teaching demonstration is a required component of the interview process for finalists.
Please note that due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to contact each applicant individually. Additional information about the Fashion Institute of Technology can be found at www.fitnyc.edu.
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, [email protected]