The University of Miami is considered among the top tier institutions of higher education in the U.S. for its academic excellence, superior medical care, and cutting-edge research. At the U, we are committed to attracting a talented workforce to support our common purpose of transforming lives through teaching, research, and service. Through our values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity and Teamwork (DIRECCT) we strive to create an environment where everyone contributes in making UM a great place to work. We are one of the largest private employers in Miami-Dade County; home to more than 13,400 faculty and staff from all over the world.
The Department of Surgery at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine has an exciting opportunity for a Postdoctoral Associate. The Postdoctoral Associate is responsible for performing research activities and experiments in the laboratory on several aspects of the research projects. The Postdoctoral Associate should be familiar with concepts in some of the following areas: cellular and molecular biology, oncology, and immunology as well as in animal handling. This position will assist the Principal Investigator and ensure that all experiments are appropriately conducted following policies and procedures of the University of Miami. This position will require advanced knowledge and capability to exercise independent judgment when carrying out research activities and performing non-routine and complex laboratory projects. Advanced knowledge of pancreatic diseases and pancreatic cancer biology is preferred, but not mandatory.The duties and responsibilities for this position may include, but are not limited to:
- Performing laboratory responsibilities related to the assigned projects that include cell culture, cell biology, biochemistry and molecular biology related to cancer biology. Schedule and perform experiments in a research laboratory.
- Ability to troubleshoot research projects both at the scientific and technical levels, interpreting and analyzing experimental data and maintaining accurate records. May need to develop, adopt, and implement new laboratory procedures.
- Assisting in the preparation of data and figures for manuscripts and for scientific presentations using Microsoft PowerPoint and other graphics software as needed.
- Ability to establish animal models related to the assigned projects in full compliance with the University of Miami regulations.
- Ability to perform comprehensive literature surveys in order to successfully perform experiments assigned in the research project.
- Presenting data in laboratory meetings and other venues.
- Preparing manuscripts for publication in collaboration with University of Miami faculty and staff.
- Ensuring and documenting laboratory adherence to safety standards, especially in the use of hazardous items.
- Assisting with the implementation of new programs and initiatives.
- Performing routine laboratory maintenance responsibilities such as performing mouse genotyping and ordering and restocking supplies.
The minimum qualifications for this position are as follows: Ph.D., M.D., or other doctoral-level degree, preferably in Microbiology and Immunology, Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, Oncology, or other closely related discipline. Good computer skills with experience using Microsoft PowerPoint or other graphics software. Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with a good command of the English language.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information-https://www.hr.miami.edu/careers/employment-laws-eo/index.html
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University of Miami School of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.]]>