Linux Kernel Developer for Wireless Networking
Requisition # 2018-8913
Department Research Computing
Category Information Technology
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Does the opportunity to work with cutting-edge technology that promises continuous high-speed Internet connectivity for vehicular travel interest you? Would you like to be a part of a project team responsible for bringing innovative wireless network infrastructure to Princeton University's campus to advance the capability and reliability of Wi-Fi networking? Do you have a strong background in Linux kernel programming for wireless networking? If so, the “Wi-Fi Goes to Town” project team at Princeton University is recruiting a Linux Kernel Developer for Wireless Networking to lead the development, prototyping, rollout, and testing of roadside Wi-Fi hotspot technology on campus.
As a joint project between the Princeton Advanced Wireless Systems (PAWS) group in the Department of Computer Science, and the Research Computing Department in the Office for Information Technology, you will work closely with a team of post-doctoral research associates, graduate students, and undergraduate researchers, as well as highly-skilled, advanced networking IT professionals to turn this concept into reality.
This position is a 1-year term position with an extension possible, contingent on funding availability.
- Perform the development, debugging, and testing of packet switching code in a Linux TCP/IP networking stack, wireless networking device driver subsystem, and Wi-Fi NIC device driver, to flexibly redirect TCP flows to different Wi-Fi access points and migrate WPA2 enterprise client association and authentication state from one AP to another
- Facilitate requirements discovery sessions
- Develop network specifications based on requirements
- Prepare project cost estimates
- Deploy the wireless network system in a physical roadside or trackside testbed, which includes mounting, weatherproofing, powering, and running backhaul to the system
- Collaborate with Princeton University Facilities to plan and implement the physical deployment of project hardware
- Integrate the system with the campus-wide Aruba Wi-Fi network, which utilizes the federated eduroam framework (WPA2 enterprise)
- 5+ years of experience programming in C, C++, Python, and UNIX/Linux kernel
- Ability to collaborate with project sponsors, faculty, research staff, and technical staff from the Department of Computer Science
- Ability to successfully partner with highly-skilled networking and critical infrastructure IT professionals
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to clearly convey technical ideas to individuals with varying levels of technical understanding
- 10+ years of experience in C/C++ kernel device driver development
- Strong understanding of TCP/IP networking protocols and Wi-Fi protocol (802.11b/g/a/n/ac) design and development
- Extensive experience supporting network operations
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent related work experience and skills
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Estimated Appointment End Date
Comments Related to End Date
One year from start date
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Go to our careers site.