Fire, Life and Safety Technician
Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Great Colleges to Work For" is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-System Office, University Park
Lone Star College, located in the north metropolitan Houston area, is one of the largest and fastest growing community colleges in the country featuring six comprehensive colleges and 10 centers with over 95,000 credit and non-credit students each semester, an annual budget exceeding $500,000,000, and 7,300 employees spread over a 2100 square mile area.
LSC adds $3.1 billion to the local and regional economy by providing educational opportunities across the north Houston region.
Lone Star College-System Office employees are based at one of two System Office locations; The Woodlands and University Park. Both are the site for multiple administrative departments and system-wide training programs.
This position is located at the LSC-System Office, University Park location at 20515 SH 249 (SH 249 and Louetta Road) Houston, Texas 77070-2607.
Under general supervision the fire, life and safety technician is responsible for the installation, inspection, testing, maintenance, repair, termination and certification of LSC fire, life and safety systems, equipment and their components. These systems including fire alarm and sprinklers, CCTV, access control, intrusion detection alarms, mass notification, chemical safety equipment and ensures equipment certifications are maintained in accordance with Federal, State and Local fire and safety requirements.
Will perform other duties as required.
The ideal candidate will maintain a highly analytical and problem solving mindset while working as a
team player. The candidate is expected to be detail oriented, work efficiently under minimal supervision
and fixed deadlines, and work at multiple campuses, as assigned.
- Performs both routine and preventative maintenance on fire and life safety systems, equipment and devices.
- Performs fire safety code inspections in accordance with (the International Fire Code (IFC), and the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)) Federal, State and local fire and safety requirements, Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) and other applicable agencies and accreditations.
- Inspects, tests, and repairs battery backup emergency egress and lighting systems, emergency pneumatic release controls for doors, signage, fire systems, emergency generator system [limited], life and safety systems, fire sprinkler and standpipe systems.
- Plan, conduct or assist with all drills (fire, lockdown, etc.) and exercises. Document drill results and required follow-up actions, reporting all findings to appropriate personnel.
- Prepare budget recommendations for manager regarding repair, replacement, upgrades and service.
- Records and maintains testing results, work order documentation to include preventive and corrective maintenance for fire, life and safety equipment.
- Responds and assists with elevator entrapments, performs testing of two-way emergency elevator communication systems as per code requirements.
- Participate/deliver fire safety education during new employee orientation, and training necessary as follow-up to fire drill deficiencies or for continuing education.
- Escort contractors and Fire Marshal representatives through LSC buildings in order to maintain and/or inspect equipment.
- Responsible for other reasonable related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Working knowledge of the National Electric Code (NEC) relating to the Fire safety industry.
- Color vision to identify color-coded wiring.
- Ability to inspect, repair and maintain fire, life and safety systems.
- Ability to exercise sound and independent judgment when necessary.
- Experience with computerized service request system.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills.
- Proven ability to work with a team of multi-crafted trades people.
- Skill in the use of all related tools and equipment.
- Ability to multi-task.
- The work requires considerable and strenuous physical exertion, such as frequent climbing of tall ladders, lifting heavy objects over 50 pounds, crouching or crawling in restricted areas
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- May be assigned to any or various LSC campuses
- May be required to work more than 40 hours during the workweek, holidays, weekends and other
- May work around chemical fumes, hazardous substances, electrical and mechanical hazards,
- noise, allergens, and dust
- May be required to drive an LSC vehicle, as necessary
- May be required to wear personal protection gear and an LSC shirt (furnished)
- Required to be on-call 24-hours a day on a rotational basis
Please go to your profile page. To add a file, select the "attachments" tab. Click on the "add" tab. Click "Browse" and select the file you want to attach. Then click "attach." It will redirect you back to the general profile page. Repeat steps to add additional documents.
Tips: You can only attach a maximum of five (5) files no larger than 2MB (2047 bytes) each. The total file capacity is 10MB. If your individual file exceeds the file limit, you will receive an error message. The search tool recruiter's use for candidates will not be able to analyze the content of some attached files, mostly image files, and compressed files (zip). The recommended file attachments are word or pdf files.
Please include the requisition number and your name in the title of your file. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
Duration of Job Posting:
Posted until filled
- High School Diploma or GED and at least 2 years of experience with full life cycle installation,
- repair, maintenance, and operations of various fire, life and safety devices
- Texas driver's license and an acceptable driving record
- Associate's degree in a technical field
- At least 4 years of experience with full life cycle installation, repair, maintenance, and operations of various fire, life and safety devices
- NICET (Level II) certification
- NICET (Level III) certification
- EST3, Lenel or other industry certifications
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
- Experience in a college setting
Benefits Marketing Statement:
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment and excellent work/life balance.
This includes 22-23 days paid holidays and up to 12 annual vacation days, full comprehensive benefits package, wellness program, professional development opportunities and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Primary Location: US-Texas-Houston
Work Locations: 20515 SH 249 (SH 249 and Louetta Rd) (0801) , 20515 SH 249 , Houston , 77070
Job: General Counsel
Organization: System Office - 00
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Required Documents: Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Job Posting: Oct 12, 2018, 10:28:57 PM