Academic Tutor & Lab Monitor (part-time)
Salary $15.00 Hourly
Location Champaign, IL
Job Type Part-time, 19 hours or less per week
Department Student Services
Job Number triopt1.18.18
3 Positions Available (Preference will be given to those that can tutor more than one subject area)
- English Composition
- Sciences (particularly Anatomy & Physiology, Biology, and Chemistry)
Application review will begin immediately and position will remain open until filled.
The Part-Time TRiO/Student Services Academic Coach & Lab Monitor provides academic support and encouragement to TRiO students and maintains a quality learning environment in the TRiO Multipurpose Room (lab).
The Academic Coach & Lab Monitor works on a schedule established by the Academic Coordinator. Internal and external events may require an altered work schedule. The position involves access to confidential information and records. Minimal supervision is provided; the Part-Time Office Coach & Lab Monitor must be able to work independently. Annual renewal of position is contingent on federal funding levels.
This position is a part-time, hourly, 19 hours-or-less, grant-funded appointment with an pay rate of $15.00/hr
All Applicants must submit:
- On online Parkland College employment application
- Cover Letter
Essential Job Functions
- Meet regularly with participants to assess their learning style and provide academic and study skills assistance unique to the individual.
- Share effective methods of study tips for a variety of courses.
- Tutor students in subjects (where proficient) and tailor tutoring session to accommodate the student's individual learning style.
- Conduct group tutoring, study skills sessions, and test prep sessions when necessary.
- Complete required paperwork (time sheets, tutoring session summary sheets, evaluations, end of year feedback forms) in a timely manner.
- Read and respond punctually to correspondence from the Academic Coordinator and other TRiO staff.
- Inform and encourage students to utilize other academic resources available at Parkland College, namely instructors, the Library, and the Center for Academic Success (CAS).
- Keep the Academic Coordinator abreast of progress, problems, or concerns; refer students to Academic Coordinator when necessary.
- Ensure students sign-in and out of lab.
- Solicit participation and motivate students via phone calls, emails, and one-on-one interaction.
- Lightly clean and maintain lab at the end of every shift.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate's Degree in Math, Science, English, or related field.
- Teaching and/or tutoring experience in Math, Science, and/or English.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Comfortable and proficient in use of computers and other technology.
- Ability to communicate and work with diverse groups of people.
- Professionalism in actions and appearance.
- Ability to learn the Parkland information system and new computer programs as technology changes.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Experience working with students in the TRiO program.
01 List the courses/subjects you can proficiently tutor.
02 Please list the name(s) of your degree(s), including the discipline, which qualify you for this position.
* Required Question
Parkland College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.