Head Line Cook
Areas of Intereset: Food Service
Functional Areas: Student Affairs
Department: Department of Housing Administration
Requisition Number: 12754
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Employment Type: University Staff
Posting Close Date: 14-Oct-2018
Housing and Dining Services welcomes applications for a Head Line Cook. This is a hands-on working culinary position that provides oversight and leadership in assigned dining operations to the BOH and FOH Dining Attendants. This position, under the general supervision of the Sous Chef and Kitchen Manager, exists to prepare, assign and delegate standardized recipe preparation, ensuring quality, A9 and food safety standards are followed in their specific assigned production area, all while offering exceptional customer service in a team-driven and supported environment. This position is responsible for facilitating break schedules for the aforementioned areas based upon organizational needs and staff schedules, all while offering excellent customer service in a team- driven and supported environment.
Who We Are
Housing & Dining Services, Campus Dining Services exists to provide 3.3 million meals per year for the students, staff, faculty and guests of the university. Campus Dining Services is comprised of Residential Dining Halls, Catering and Retail outlets, which operate year round. Campus Dining leads the industry with superior quality food and exceptional dining experiences. We continue to expand our sustainability initiatives and reduce our carbon footprint in our daily operations, including efforts in resource recovery, conservation and food sourcing. We are committed to providing options and information to all of our guests with dietary restrictions and allergens, including vegan, vegetarian, kosher and Halal choices, supported by a strong allergen awareness program called A9 ® Identified.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Kitchen Prep and Operation
- Prep, assemble, and delegate food preparation tasks.
- Delegate and assist with the setup and breakdown of production and service areas.
- Understand and utilize a variety of equipment and service standards as appropriate.
- Follow and enforce set food safety protocol in all areas of oversight.
- Ensure cleanliness and quality of all BOH service areas.
- Provide excellent customer service and assist with customer needs and inquiries.
- Lead by example both in general work ethic and positive and productive demeanor.
- Display and demonstrate excellent communication skills.
- Follow all ParTech and A9 labeling procedures, request labels, and recognize allergen errors.
- Fully comprehend allergen labeling protocol, including avoidance of cross contact, and report concerns to Sous Chef and Kitchen Manager.
- Serve on the food safety response team and responds to all food safety emergencies as appropriate to the work assignment. If a work cell phone is provided, a response call must be within an hour of the original call and/or message.
- Train new staff members, both full time and student employees.
- Empower others to make decisions in areas within their span of control.
- Make scheduling recommendations and alert management of holes in the personnel roster as necessary.
- Hold others accountable, following progressive discipline process.
- Discuss staff issues with Shift Supervisor and Lead Service Manager.
What We Can Offer
- The anticipated starting salary for this position is $29,760.00.
- Free meal during shift.
- Free Eco Pass.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Excited. Be Flexible. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- At least 2 years of back of house (BOH) food service experience.
- Must be able to obtain Servsafe certification or certificate appropriate to position level within 6 months of hire. Must possess appropriate Servsafe certification or certificate appropriate to position level for the duration of employment with CDS.
What We Would Like You To Have
- ServSafe certified and or certificate appropriate.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Please apply by Sunday, October 14th.
This position is designated "essential services." The incumbent is required to respond to requests for work during campus emergencies (snow, wind, rain, flood and any other natural or man-made event) and report to work for his / her regularly assigned shift during emergency campus closures.
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer