Dept Chair/Div Head
System Identification Number:
College of Merchandising, Hospitality & Tourism http://cmht.unt.edu
Dept Chair/Div Head
Job Summary/Basic Function:
We seek a dynamic leader-scholar to move the HTM department to its next level of excellence and innovation in academic programs, research, and preparing HTM students for future talent needs of hospitality and tourism industries. The HTM Chair reports to the dean of the College of Merchandising, Hospitality and Tourism Management and serves as the chief administrative and academic leader of the department.
- Provides visionary leadership characterized by mentoring, collaboration and team building.
- Supports and advances innovative applied research.
- Has oversight of department strategic planning; curriculum and program development; budget development, management and allocation; recruitment and retention of students; hiring student employees; hiring and performance evaluations of faculty and staff; facilities maintenance; and accreditation assessments and reports.
- Serves on the CMHT Administrative Council, CMHT Graduate Faculty, and CMHT and UNT committees as appropriate.
- Provides oversight for a joint Master of Science in International Sustainable Tourism delivered in Year One at UNT, Denton, TX and in Year Two at CATIE in Turrialba, Costa Rica.
- Facilitates alignment of faculty, UG and G research with UNT's research goals.
- Mentors junior faculty in the P&T process and has oversight of P&T processes within the department.
- Represents the HTM Department to UNT community.
- Facilitates existing and develops new collaborative relationships with U.S. and international universities and industry partners.
- Implements strategies that support UNT's goals as a Research 1 University.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
- Holds doctoral degree in hospitality, tourism. food management, or closely aligned field at the rank of professor; may consider associate professor who qualifies for rank of professor upon hire at UNT.
- Demonstrated leadership using collaboration and team building.
- Holds an excellent record of accomplishments in teaching, research and service.
- Has an advancing research stream with continuing dissemination of scholarly work.
- Has experience in curriculum development.
- Has a minimum of two years' work experience in hospitality management, tourism, food management or closely aligned area.
- Has excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Has mentored graduate students.
- Has budget management experience.
- Has participated in faculty performance evaluations.
- Has experience in building/sustaining industry relations.
- Has experience working with diverse groups of people.
- Held an administrative appointment in higher education.
- Has experience managing personnel, facilities, purchasing budgets.
- Has experience in annual faculty and staff performance evaluations.
- Has evidence of successful advancement work.
- Has experience of international collaboration in higher education.
- Able to travel internationally.
Area of Specialty:
Hospitality, Tourism, Food Management, or Aligned Area
Non-Tenured Appointment Term:
Open Until Search Closed
Review of Applications Begins:
Required Applicant Documents:
List of Names and Contact Information of Five References
Unofficial Academic Transcripts (official transcripts due upon hire)
Statement of Research Interests
Narrative Describing Scholarly Research