RESEARCH SPECIALIST D/LAB MANAGER
Duties: Seeking a motivated and detail-oriented leader and team-player for a Lab Manager position. The Lab Manager will be part of a growing research group in the Perelman School of Medicine's Department of Biostatistics, Epidemiology, and Informatics, Center for Epidemiology and Biostatistics. The studies largely focus on understanding and improving the complications surrounding antibiotic resistant bacteria. We collaborate greatly within the Penn community, utilizing Penn labs and core facilities as well as collaborations with Private Investigators all over the nation. Therefore, we are looking for a manager who can plan well, handle multi-tasking across projects, and has good communication with multiple Principal Investigators. The main responsibilities of this position will be to support the study PIs, ID fellow, post-docs, and graduate students. Train and manage other full-time laboratory technicians as well as undergraduate students. Be the expert for the lab portions of all studies including; assay development, design experiments, process samples, and interpret results. The lab manager will oversee and manage the biobanking projects, which include creating and managing the Labvantage software. This candidate will be responsible to train other personnel in all lab protocols.
* Handle human specimens (original sample or isolates) from research subjects or clinical patients; handle
bacterial culture including maintenance of strains, subculturing, & freezing clinical isolates, and antimicrobial susceptibility testing.
* Perform techniques for sample processing (pipetting, vortexing, aliquot, and centrifugation) of human and environmental samples for identification of bacterial colonies; specimens can include anatomic samples (e.g., stool, urine, skin, respiratory) as well as environmental samples.
* Perform molecular techniques including: DNA isolation from bacteria, restriction enzyme digestion, gel electrophoresis, DNA amplification by the polymerase chain reaction, DNA sequencing, assay development.
* General laboratory duties including reagent preparation, ordering supplies, basic lab cleaning and maintenance.
* Prepare hazardous bacterial isolates for shipment
* Maintain daily lab notebook
* Organize results into an Excel spreadsheet
Qualifications: Master's degree in Biology or related science and 3 years to 5 years working in Biology research or Cell and Molecular Biology or an equivalent combination of education and experience required. Proficiency in conventional Molecular Biology and Microbiological techniques (sequencing, basic bacterial culture, maintaining cell lines, DNA isolation) is preferred.
Candidate should have strong experience working with research teams and directly participating in research studies.
Must be a self-starter, able to work independently and have excellent verbal and written communication skills; must be able to multitask and be dependable, responsible and reliable.
This position may require flexibility to work evenings/nights/weekends
Reference Number: 40-30089
Salary Grade: 027
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: BE-Epidemiology Division
Job Family: I-Technical/Professional Research