Manager of Event Operations
Requisition Number STA - 201000000670
Job Title Manager of Event Operations
The University of North Texas at Dallas invites applications for the position of Manager of Event Operations.
The University - the first four-year public institution of higher education in the city - seeks an individual who will help shape the character of a 21st century, teaching-focused university. Candidates should be able to express enthusiastic support for the mission of the university to transform the lives of students, families and communities by providing high-quality, student-focused education in preparation for tomorrow's careers, and its vision to create the place of choice where students are inspired to learn, faculty are inspired to teach and the community is inspired to support. For more information about the university, go to: http://untdallas.edu/
This position guides the planning and execution of all aspects of meetings, conferences and other events. This role is responsible for working with relevant stakeholders to accomplish the event objectives. Executes plans, handles event particulars, assists in evaluation and managing of events, oversees event set up/breakdown.
This position is responsible for guiding the development, implementation, coordination, and evaluation of strategic and operational activities of special events hosted by or supported by the University. The position guides in the development and implementation of highly visible University projects, demonstrating superior customer service, exercising considerable initiative and independent judgement, and operating with a high level of detail in the performance of assigned duties.
This position is responsible for managing events for the University including: recruiting new business, negotiating and managing event related contracts and agreements, fiscal management for events, executing all event logistics, ensures all University policies and state and federal regulations are followed. This role works with a cross functional group of internal and external stakeholders to meet the goals of the department.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for all event logistics including: time, scheduling rooms, location, staffing requirements, cost, and overseeing event set up and breakdown.
- Handles billing and payment(s) for events.
- Recommends new procedures for improvement of support activities.
- Facilitates space management to include A-V and multimedia, food service/catering, facility services, Police services, parking, as well as third-party providers.
- Responsible for daily event management inspections of all rooms and spaces to maintain neat and clean appearances; inspects and maintains all event furnishings, staging equipment, and accessories.
- Applies established policies and procedures in order to maintain levels of safety.
- Researches options and costs and makes recommendations for new events and suggest varied arrangements and locations for regular events; manages the execution of various events including dinners, parties, luncheons, meetings, receptions, coffees/teas, convocations, and other events/projects as assigned.
- Consults with internal and external facilities staff regarding all aspects of the event presentation including room arrangement, menus, service scheduling, dcor, flowers, equipment, parking, transportation, etc., as applicable to each event.
- Oversees and maintains detailed records of events including database records of contacts, responses, and attendance. Attends events as needed to ensure smooth operations and provide liaison between facilities staff and event hosts.
- Manages event budget including monitor expenses and adheres to budgetary guidelines.
- Provides training on standards, guidance and recommendations enabling consistency in University events.
- Manages the execution of various events as specified by end-users, including dinners, parties, meetings, receptions, groundbreakings, formal ceremonies, and other events/projects as assigned.
- Serves as a formal resource for internal and external constituents regarding standards and best practices as part of the Office of Special Events.
- Coordinates all aspects of large and small scale event management for internal and external clients including contract negotiation, contract preparation, budgeting, financial and asset management, risk management, logistics, timelines, meetings, marketing, on-site event management, and supervision of support staff during events.
- Coordinates parking for events and officials with the Police Department.
- Schedules police and security services with the Police Department as needed.
- Communicates event needs to food services/catering, setup crew, custodians, campus officials, police, parking, facilities, communications, etc.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
Bachelor's Degree in related field and three (3) years of closely related experience in conference and event management; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Physical requirements necessary to perform essential job functions
Work is primarily sedentary. Sits comfortably to do the work; however, there may be some walking, standing, bending, or lifting items weighing up to 50 pounds.
Driving University Vehicle? Yes
Weekly (Days and Hours will vary)
Substitution of Experience/Education Yes
Ending Date (if temporary)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Texas Workforce Commission
- HigherEd Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed
- Linked In
- Professional Diversity Network
- Company Website
- Job Fair
- Current Employee
- Other (Specify Below)
- Please specify source from above
(Open Ended Question)
- * How many years of experience do you have in this type of position?
- * What is your highest level of completed education?
- High School/GED
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- Ph D
- * Do you possess a valid Texas Drivers License or the ability to obtain one within 30 days of employment?
- Cover Letter
- Veteran Preference (DD-214)