Greeter, Center for Writing Excellence
Posting Date August 9, 2018
Position Title Greeter, Center for Writing Excellence
Vacancy # TEMP#080918
Department Center for Writing Excellence
Division Academic Affairs
Greeters provide a critical function by serving as the public face of the Center for Writing Excellence (CWE) by interacting with students, faculty, staff and the public who visit or call the center. Greeters are knowledgeable in the CWE's services and assist users of the CWE with appointment registration, the scheduling system, and online appointments in addition to CWE policies. Greeters are required to be well-versed in the tutoring methods employed by the CWE's consultants. Greeters staff the CWE's front desk, answers phones, and manage traffic in and out of the center while providing additional support to CWE staff. In this position, greeters report to the Assistant Director and Director, who will assign tasks and research projects as needed.
- Evening hours (M-TH, 2:30pm - 8:00pm)
- Friday and weekends
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the front desk.
- Assist users with CWE accounts, appointment registration, online scheduling system, and online appointments.
- Communicate and apply CWE policies and procedures.
- Greet all visitors, manage traffic in and out of the CWE, including the waiting area.
- Answer telephone calls and direct calls.
- Troubleshoot and provide support to CWE staff.
- Maintain discretion when working with highly confidential issues.
- Record keeping.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Associate's degree or Bachelor's degree.
- Experience with reception and front desk responsibilities.
- Strong listening, problem analysis and solving skills.
- High stress tolerance and resilience when responding to challenging clients.
- Ability to troubleshoot technology issues for both, Macs and PCs.
- Ability to work independently or within a team.
- Ability to work productively in a fast-paced work environment.
- Experience in higher education environment focused on students, faculty and support staff.
- Availability for evenings and weekends.
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Commensurate with experience.
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Alicia Remolde, Assistant Director of the Center for Writing Excellence
You will need to combine your cover letter, resume or CV into one single document (PDF).
(include TEMP#080918 in the subject line)
Apply By Review will begin immediately and continues until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION