University of Miami is currently in the process of implementing a new recruitment system. This position requires a different application process as part of the new implementation. Please refer to the following when applying:
If you are a current employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
On-line applications for External Applicants should be submitted here. The Manager, Human Resources manages and coordinates the overall administration of human resources activities, services and policies for the University of Miami. In addition, this role provides assistance to business units in the management and administration of strategic staffing plans, compensation, benefits, training and development, labor relations, while ensuring adherence with all employment legislation and regulations and University standards.
1. Oversees the effective utilization of the University of Miami workforce and supports system-wide workforce planning, strategies and initiatives. Provides strategic guidance and consultation to leadership and staff regarding human resources best practices, policy interpretation, problem resolution, compliance with University standards, state and federal law.
2. Partners with Director to review and make recommendations to executive management for improvement of policies, procedures and practices on personnel matters. In partnership with the Director and other HR areas, manages communication of policy changes and procedures.
3. Fosters a collaborative work environment and motivates employees to achieve peak productivity and performance. Manages HR staff, to include work allocation, training, performance management, evaluation of staff performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions.
4. Conducts meetings and site visits in order to evaluate and complete work environment assessments in assigned business units. Coordinates or conducts exit interviews to determine reasons for employee separations and assist in developing retention plans.
5. Partners with clients and other HR functions, to administer compensation changes, support recruitment efforts, address general employee inquiries related to HR, and resolve complex employee relations cases. Conducts thorough and objective investigations. Reviews personnel actions to ensure compliance with employment laws
6. Assists departments in the evaluation of reports, department restructures, workforce planning, succession planning, and development of departmental goals. Recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to effect continual improvement in departmental operations.
7. Cultivates and maintains positive and professional relationships with HR staff, clients and the general employee population in order to promote an engaged and inclusive culture and advance the University of Miami’s mission, vision, strategic objectives and business goals.
8. Identifies training needs for business units and individual executive coaching needs. Facilitates training, to include orientation, as needed. Participates in the evaluation and monitoring of the success of training programs. Follows up to ensure training objectives have been met.
9. Conducts, manages and resolves complex employee relations issues, to include thorough and objective investigations, and a comprehensive review of evidence/documentation. Provides day-to-day performance management guidance to clients regarding coaching, counseling, disciplinary actions that result from the
investigation. Summarizes investigation finds and recommendations.
10. Completes special projects and assignments as needed. Participates in and represents HR at relevant meetings, committees and events.
11. Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risk and ensuring regulatory compliance, as well as industry trends.
Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or related field.
Minimum six years of progressive HR Experience to include a minimum of two years of management experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
•Demonstrated commitment to the University’s core values of diversity, integrity, responsibility, excellence, compassion, creativity and teamwork.
•Demonstrated leadership and complex organizational skills.
•Knowledge of how to achieve results in business units.
•Excellent interpersonal skills in order to work with faculty, staff and professionals in multiple settings and in a multi-cultural environment promoting inclusion in the workplace.
•Excellent analytical and negotiating skills, with the ability to think critically.
•Integrity of the highest order, as demonstrated in personal leadership behavior and decision, and tact.
•Ability to quickly establish trust and credibility with leadership across the University.
•Ability to be flexible and receptive to change.
•Ability to understand and exhibit system thinking and perspective in order to achieve organizational goals.
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information-https://www.hr.miami.edu/careers/employment-laws-eo/index.html