Dean of the College
Dean of the College
Department: President's Office
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Position Type: Administrator
Posting Removal Date: Open Until Filled
Posting Number: 1001494
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Position Summary and Responsibilities Reporting to the President, the Dean of the College is responsible for matters of student life, including the residential and academic experiences. The Dean of the College oversees and guides residential life, diversity and inclusion centers and initiatives, campus activities and student organizations, dining services, safety and security, student conduct, health and wellness programming, and academic advising. In these roles, the Dean seeks to promote a positive climate on campus in which all students can thrive and experience a sense of belonging. The Dean plays both a strategic and management role in envisioning improvements in services, using best practices and evidence to plan and monitor the quality of students' experiences, and executing work to achieve stated goals in all areas. The Dean of the College also leads communications relative to the departments they oversee and is the point person for emergencies involving students on campus.
- Develop in partnership with the President strategies for constantly improving student residential and academic life at Vassar;
- Develop leadership capacity of direct reports and foster teamwork across all major departments reporting to the Dean of the College;
- Demonstrate and model respect at all levels and in every interaction with students;
- Communicate complex student issues to senior team, President, and Board to anticipate and mitigate difficulties related to student experiences on campus;
- Create policies as needed to clarify practices and improve reliability of policy implementation related to student conduct, academic advising, and VSA student organizations to ensure adherence to Vassar mission, values, and legal/ethical standards;
- Participate in accreditation and regularity reviews;
- Be aware of best practices in all areas of responsibility and participate in conferences and national efforts to demonstrate Vassar's leadership in residential life and inclusion;
- Collaborate with President on strategic planning and fundraising as needed;
- Keep President informed of key events and emerging trends in student life;
- Collaborate with the Dean of Faculty to ensure that faculty are aware of and attentive to trends in academic and residential life;
- Manage complex budgets and resources efficiently;
- Work with faculty to promote student experiences of inclusion; be involved in the development of initiatives that may involve houses, as needed;
- Establish metrics for all work departments, and monitor performance regularly;
- Execute performance management reviews for staff and provide professional development activities for them as possible;
- Play pivotal role in the design and implementation of student information systems;
- Collaborate with senior team and President on policy and strategy efforts.
Required Skills and Experience Successful leadership experience in highly complex environments, and experience responding to multiple constituencies and managing budgets; Experience in higher education working with faculty and senior leadership on sensitive and routine issues of strategy, program design, budgets, and implementation efforts; Experience working with and counseling students and student-run organizations as part of residential life in a college setting; Experience with and commitment to diversity and inclusion programming; Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with a broad range of individuals internally and externally; in addition, the ability to be diplomatic in a complex environment in oral and written communication; Experience in a self-directed role demonstrating confidence and initiative; An ability to learn quickly, be flexible, and be comfortable with ambiguity; Demonstrated commitment to high standards of excellence, a willingness to go the extra mile, and a strong attention to detail; Outstanding oral and written communication skills; Excellent collaboration and facilitation skills; Commitment to the mission and values of a liberal arts institution, including sustainable access to the opportunities the institution provides and support for student and employee success; Demonstrated successful and supportive supervisory experience; PhD or equivalent terminal degree required.
Required Applicant Documents
Contact Information for 3 References
Optional Applicant Documents
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
Anticipated Start Date:
Anticipated End Date (If Applicable):
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu.
Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency