Director of Institutional Research
The Air Force Institute of Technology’s (AFIT) Graduate School of Engineering and Management is pleased to announce the position of Director of Institutional Research and invites applications.
The Director of Institutional Research provides the leadership and has management and execution responsibility for all the institutional research/effectiveness efforts and functions for the Graduate School of Engineering and Management. The Director plans, coordinates and implements a comprehensive institutional research program that inform the academic decision-making and strategic planning supporting the Graduate School’s mission and strategic initiatives. The Director has a vital role in providing data analyses, interpretation of analyses, and preparation of reports for both internal and external use and distribution. The Director is also responsible for the administrative leadership and management of the Graduate School’s assessment program. Through effective coordination with administrative, business, instructional, and academic support services, the Director will execute effective institutional research, planning, and assessment activities to support the Graduate School’s faculty and executive-level management team.
The major duties include:
- Planning and performing institutional research studies and reports that support AFIT’s academic programs and institutional decision making.
- Reporting official institutional data to federal agencies, professional organizations, and accrediting bodies.
- Analyzing data to support senior administrators in Graduate School strategic planning.
- Providing analytical and technical support to departments, committees, faculty, staff, and administrators for institutional data and responding to requests for institutional data from external constituencies.
- Preparing, developing, and publishing internal and external reports and surveys.
- Providing the administrative leadership for assessment of institutional effectiveness and student learning outcomes including and faculty and staff development in assessment practice.
- Serving as a resource for various assessment and effectiveness initiatives.
- Reporting research results pertaining to outcomes assessment and institutional effectiveness.
- Working with academic and administrative departments to develop tools to facilitate reporting needed for assessment and regional and specialized accreditation.
- Participating in professional forums and keeping abreast of trends and issues pertaining to assessment and institutional research, and incorporating best practices into Graduate School initiatives.
- Providing support for program reviews, accreditation visits, Board of Visitor meetings, and other Air Force/DoD needs.
Qualifications: The minimum qualifications for consideration include: U. S. citizenship (required); a master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in a quantitative oriented discipline appropriate for the duties of the position; three years professional experience in higher education research, data analysis, planning, and institutional effectiveness (to include experience in both assessment and institutional research); two years of experience with databases, statistical software, and other high level computer skills, knowledge of statistical techniques, research methodology, data organization, and analysis; ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively and to initiate research studies and reports utilizing quantitative and qualitative methodologies; ability to communicate clearly and expertly (in English) in both verbal and written forms concerning academic, administrative, and technical subject matters.
The preferred qualifications are: a doctorate degree from a regionally accredited university in a quantitative oriented discipline appropriate for the duties of the position; five years or more of experience in a university/college Institutional Research office with increasing levels of responsibility; extensive experience working with data warehouse and reporting systems; and proficiency in the use of a range of information technology software such as SAS, SPSS, Oracle, Crystal Reports, Microsoft Office products.
The selected candidate will be subject to a security investigation leading to successful completion of a background investigation with a favorable adjudication. The selectee's failure to meet this requirement will be grounds for termination. Official transcripts are required upon hiring.
How to Apply: For complete instructions on how to apply for this position and required documents, please visit http://www.usajobs.gov and review job announcement AFMC-10325449-000000-9X-JED. Application deadline: 4 November 2018.
Confidential request for information can be directed to Dr. Paul J. Wolf, Hiring Committee Chair, [email protected] Additional information about this position and benefits can be found at http://www.usajobs.gov
The Air Force Institute of Technology offers 26 research-based masters and 14 PhD degree programs in engineering, applied sciences and mathematics, and select areas of management through its Graduate School of Engineering and Management. Recognized for its defense-focused research-based academic programs, the Graduate School has 6 academic departments, 8 research centers of excellence with 140 full-time faculty serving over 700 graduate students and it is the only Department of Defense academic institution recognized as a “Doctoral/Research University” by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. Its defense-focused degree programs serve the U.S. Air Force, the Department of Defense, and Government agencies involved in national defense. Located near Dayton, Ohio, the campus resides on Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, adjacent to world-class research facilities of the Air Force Research Laboratory. Dayton offers a wealth of social and cultural activities, low cost of living, and is within easy driving distance of other major metropolitan areas like Columbus and Cincinnati.
The Air Force Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free Workplace.