The main campus of SUNY Corning Community College is located in Corning, NY, in the beautiful Finger Lakes Region of New York State. SUNY CCC serves about 4,500 students and sits on 550 acres on Spencer Hill
above Corning, NY, with three additional locations in the region. SUNY Corning Community College is unique as a community college in that it boasts a Nature and Research Center, Observatory, and Planetarium. SUNY CCC recently opened the doors of its state-of-the-art Health Education Center in downtown Corning, Steuben County. It also has two additional campuses; Airport Corporate Park, near the Elmira-Corning Regional Airport, and the Academic and Workforce Development Center in downtown Elmira, both in Chemung County.
SUNY CCC has been recognized as one of the top 50 community colleges in the U.S. by Washington Monthly and more recently named the best 2-year college in NY State by BestColleges.com.
SUNY CCC is accredited by Middles States Association of Colleges & Schools and Accrediting Commission for Education in Nursing.
SUNY CCC is one of two Regional community colleges in the SUNY system servicing three counties--Steuben, Chemung, and Schuyler. Fiduciary responsibility rests with a 14-member Regional Board of Trustees, which consists of 13 representatives (appointed by either the Governor or the sponsor counties themselves), and one student (elected by the student body).
The College employs about 80 full-time and 120 adjunct faculty. The faculty union recently ratified a four-year contract.
The entire Senior Staff is fairly new to the college, the current VP of Administrative Services is an interim awaiting the installation of the next President.
With an emphasis on high standards, sustainability, and technological advancement, SUNY CCC provides a flexible learning environment for a diverse population of full- and part-time learners. SUNY CCC serves lifelong learners by providing access to high-quality, affordable transfer, career, and workforce development educational opportunities. Our learning environment fosters diversity, empowerment, leadership, and teamwork for academic, professional, and personal success. We collaborate locally and promote global awareness for social, environmental, and economic sustainability.
Approximately 45% of employers in the region with 50+ employees have recruited SUNY CCC graduates or students. In addition, 79.2% of employers in the region with 50+ employees would consider recruiting graduates/students from the College in the future.
SUNY CCC’s students range in age from 17 to 80 with the average age of its graduates being 25 years.
SUNY CCC, a Guided Pathways institution, offers more than 40 programs ranging from the traditional liberal arts and sciences to emerging new technologies. The College offers associate degrees in Arts, Science, Applied Science, and Occupational Studies, as well as Certificates in several disciplines.
SUNY CCC has approximately 25 articulation agreements in place permitting seamless transfer to top-ranked regional institutions like Syracuse University, SUNY Brockport, Buffalo State, Elmira College, Binghamton University, and Cornell.
Of SUNY CCC’s degree-seeking students, approximately 54.5% enroll in transfer programs.
SUNY CCC transfer students have a much higher success rate than the average SUNY transfer students (81% vs. 60%).
Named “The Most Fun Small Town in America”, Corning, NY, is the home of Corning, Incorporated., a Fortune 400 company with an international presence. The Corning Museum of Glass annually hosts hundreds of thousands of visitors from around the world. The region boasts more than 135 museums, 650 miles of shoreline, 26 state parks and more than 400 registered historic sites and landmarks, including the summer home and burial place of Mark Twain in Elmira, and in nearby Watkins Glen, the famous Watkins Glen International Raceway and natural gorge and trail. The profusion of Finger Lakes wineries and scenic beauty attracts thousands every season. Corning is conveniently situated about a 4-hour drive from Toronto, New York City, and Philadelphia.
The President of SUNY CCC will serve as a visionary, consensus builder and impactful advocate throughout the college, community, and region and address the following:
Challenges and Opportunities:
- Develop and expand opportunities for SUNY CCC to become the region’s first-choice higher education institution by elevating SUNY CCC and defining the College’s value proposition.
- Provide inspiring and vision-focused leadership and develop new funding resources which will align with SUNY CCC’s goals and priorities.
- Over the next 3-5 years be a critical part of a team that will refinance and consolidate the financial structure of the College.
- Align and develop workforce programs to meet the changing needs of business and industry while understanding and interpreting the current economic landscape.
- Advance and accelerate institution-wide technology and expand technology-based educational modalities to increase SUNY CCC’s outreach while maintaining SUNY CCC’s academic integrity.
- Develop entrepreneurial partnerships with business and industry leaders and community stakeholders to support SUNY CCC’s academic, workforce, and technical programs.
- Strategically identify new and innovative methods for increasing enrollment.
- Further SUNY CCC’s educational outreach by proactively building relationships with K-12 districts and expanding SUNY CCC’s Accelerated College Education (ACE) and STEAHM programs.
- Increase the number of seamless transfer opportunities with the region’s colleges and universities.
SUNY CCC seeks a decisive, ambitious, and collaborative leader who will make a long-term commitment to the College and is/has:
- A highly visible ambassador and passionate student advocate who builds relationships with College, business and industry and all community constituents.
- A decisive and collegial mission and vision focused administrator who connects, recognizes, and champions the contributions of faculty, staff, and administrators. A consensus builder who values shared governance and seeks input from the College community.
- Experience developing workforce, certificate, training and retraining programs to continuously meet the needs of business and industry.
- Financial stewardship, which demonstrates the ability to manage a large and complex budget.
- A comprehensive understanding of technology that will move the College to the forefront of technology’s continuously evolving role in higher education.
- An experienced and successful, innovative fundraiser capable of diversifying revenue streams to enhance programs and services.
- An unwavering champion of the community college mission with a passion for students and a deep understanding of 21st century learners.
- A strong leader with a successful track record building and expanding partnerships with K-12 districts, colleges and universities.
- A proven track record at increasing enrollment and retention.
- Experience enhancing student services with a focus on maximizing the value and efficiency of provided services.
- A successful track record in leading strategic planning processes, making data-driven decisions and improving operational and administrative effectiveness.
- An inclusive leader who will unceasingly advance issues of social justice and build upon SUNY CCC’s culture of diversity.
- A strong leader who has experience or familiarity working with a board of trustees.
- A strong understanding of regional and programmatic accreditation.
- Skilled at cultivating relationships with elected officials at the local, state, and federal levels.
- A successful track record of working collaboratively with collective bargaining.
- Ability to take the College seriously, and also have a sense of humor.
- An earned doctorate from a regionally accredited institution is highly preferred.
- Higher education experience, preferably at a community college.
- Significant senior leadership experience with a proven track record in management, understanding financial systems, and cutting edge technology both in and outside the classroom.