HR DEPARTMENTAL MANAGER III, ARTS & SCIENCES
HR DEPARTMENTAL MANAGER III, ARTS & SCIENCES
A&S Finance and Administration
Manage and coordinate non-faculty human resources activities for the Trinity College of Arts and Sciences including recruitment, performance management and employee relations, organization development, classification and salary administration, staff development, conflict mediation and resolution.
- Advise departmental management on pay issues, establish hourly/monthly rates on new employees, transfer and reclassified employees and out-of-cycle increases. 15%
- Review all departmental requests for new positions and reclassifications and determine whether it is appropriate to submit to Rewards and Recognition. Work with analyst to ensure accuracy of information and answer questions regarding requests. 15%
- Advise deans, department chairs, and departmental business managers regarding employee relations issues. Provide counsel, mediate discussions and conflicts and make recommendations for action plans. Assist managers with lay-offs, reduction in force and terminations. 15%
- Initiate and/or approve all payroll transactions for monthly staff in Academic Resource Center, A&S Facilities, Dean of Arts and Sciences, Divisional Dean, FOCUS, International Comparative Studies, Latino Studies, Office of Assessment, Pre-Major Advising, and Trinity College. Prepare payroll portion of the budget for all of these departments and enter and maintaininformation in FileMaker database. Review, sign and route all vacancy management approval forms and position management approval forms for all newly created position and vacant positions for Arts and Sciences. Collaborate with the Provost's Office during this process to ensure that the positions are necessary and notify departments after approval. 15%
- Assists with performance evaluations and provide guidance and training when necessary. Recruit committee members annually to review exceptional performance justifications, manage and ensure consistency in the process. 10%
- Manage recruitment, screening, and interviewing of applicants for staff positions for deans and departmental chairs as requested. Provide guidance on advertising, selection and placement of employees. Ensure compliance with EEO and other applicable recruitment and hiring requirements. 10% Perform staff audits when requested by dean or departmental chair. Interview staff and determine the needs of the department and make recommendations. Prepare reports and suggest the implementation of the plan. 5%
- Interpret policies and procedures to ensure consistency within Arts and Sciences. Assist departments in developing departmental policies in conjunction with University policy. 5%
- Organize or provide training sessions as needed, especially in the areas of human resources. Offer new business managers an orientation about the HR role in A&S and introduce business managers to the Finance and Administration staff. Introduce and assign a business manager mentor. 5%
- Attend Human ResourceForum monthlymeetings and training sessions on a regular basis to keep apprised onnew policies and procedures. 5%
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed and assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified. Updated: October 2018
2007 HR DEPARTMENTAL MANAGER III
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a general business or personnel background generallyequivalent to a bachelor's degree in a related field.
Work requires five years of business and/or administrative experience,with exposure to human resources activities, to acquire knowledge ofhuman resources policies and procedures necessary to manage thepersonnel activities of a major department or division.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.