Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
Jobs in this career family provide direct professional support of research activities. Functions include contracts and grants solicitation and administration, grant/agreement preparation, review and negotiation, regulatory compliance, sponsor communication and post and pre award management, human subject compliance, research animal management, research laboratory coordination and instruction, environmental health and safety, radiation control, hazardous materials use, disposal and training.
Professionals at the intermediate level are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field.
The Linda Crnic Institute (LCI) at the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora, CO is seeking a detail oriented, highly motivated, and enthusiastic full-time Professional Research Assistant to work under Joaquin Espinosa, PhD. The position involves maintenance and management of a mouse colony composed of several models of Down syndrome; design, execution, and analysis of experiments in these mouse models. The qualified candidate will establish, maintain, and independently perform experiments using various mouse models of Down syndrome.
Duties and Responsibilities
- mouse husbandry and genotyping
- mouse handling, behavioral training/testing, euthanasia
- necropsy and tissue harvesting, protein/RNA/DNA extraction
- functional and molecular assays
- data analysis
- animal imaging
- Experienced researchers are encouraged to apply for this PRA position.
- Bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry or related sciences AND, 1-5 years of laboratory experience with animals (preferably with mouse models) and various molecular biology techniques Ability to work both independently and as a team member, with supervision of a principal investigator and current laboratory staff
- Mouse colony management, handling, and testing of mice
- Self-motivated; highly organized, with demonstrated project planning and management skills in an academic research setting
- Working knowledge of molecular biology techniques for protein, RNA and DNA analysis
- Strong quantitative analysis skills, including statistics; excellent written and oral communication skills, and strong word processing skills
- Ability to develop new techniques and methods through literature searches
- Extensive laboratory research experience working with fragile and difficult-to-breed mouse models Genomic, gene-expression and proteomic platform use and understanding
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 14929
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21393 - SOM-Linda Crnic Inst Gen Ops
Posting Date: Oct 11, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Monica Lintz
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00050093