Head Coach, Cheerleading (Part-time)
Curry College invites applications for a part-time Head Cheerleading Coach. Under the direction of the Director of Athletics, the Head Coach is responsible for all aspects of the development and administration of a successful Cheerleading Program. The program will be conducted in accordance with all College and National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC), Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC), American Association of Cheerleading Coaches and Administrators (AACCA), National Cheerleaders Association (NCA) and any other conference the school is affiliated with complying with all rules, regulations, and policies.
The Head Coach will be responsible for the advisement and training of the cheerleader squad, with the administrative responsibility to develop and teach the various skills, tactics, and routines of the activity. Functions include: administration of performance scheduling, routine selection, and dance choreography. This position is part-time and non-benefit eligible.
- Teach and develop sport-specific skills in a successful, safe and prudent manner;
- Create, present, and maintain records of up-to-date lesson plans for practice drills and procedures detailing the desired goals to be achieved;
- Schedule practice and game preparation sessions; Work with Assistant Coach on practice scheduling and competition preparation.
- Partner with the Admission Department to conduct ongoing recruitment program through a variety of methods, with the goal to attract, select and encourage enrollment of high caliber student-athletes;
- Provide recruiting reports as requested to Athletic Director and Admission Department;
- Arrange and attend recruiting visits to schools, competitions and recruiting events;
- Maintain up-to-date Cheerleading recruitment database, including contact information and all communication/interactions with recruits;
- Arrange on-campus visits for recruits and meet with prospective students and families;
- Participate in Open Houses, Accepted Students Day and other campus events;
- Initiate new ideas and methods to improve the program in support of the College’s goal of a successful record;
- Successfully manage Cheerleading budget;
- Successfully manage fundraising efforts for the Cheerleading Team.
Student Success and Retention:
- Monitor academic success of student athletes and encourage high achievement;
- Be proactive for student athletes in need with regard to study-halls, progress reports, academic alerts, etc.;
- Respond effectively to concerns expressed by student athletes about athletic and non-athletic issues and refer students to appropriate office on campus to address concerns (Academic Support, Counseling, Residence Life, Financial Aid, etc.).
- Attend all Athletic Department coaches meetings;
- Attend all Football games; attend all Men’s basketball games (when Cheerleaders are in school); and support other teams and athletic units (Sports Information);
- Complete all paperwork in a timely manner including, rosters, purchase orders, meal expenses, eligibility forms, reimbursements and competition forms;
- Arrange all flights, hotels and bus arrangements for NCA College Nationals;
- Aid the Sports Information department in getting materials from players or coaches as needed;
- Distribute, collect and inspect all Cheerleading related equipment;
- Coordinate work-study student assignments.
- Arrange a minimum of two (2) Service projects for the team each season;
- Partner with various members of the Milton Community to initiate service projects for the team;
- Maintain accurate records of outreach projects and share the outreach projects with the Athletic Director and Institutional Advancement Office.
- Supervise Assistant Coach and work study students as needed.
- Comply with the Cheerleading intercollegiate affiliation policy, conference rules, and department policy and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) in a related discipline from an accredited four-year collegiate institution.
- One to two years of coaching experience at the club, high school or college level.
- Experience in areas related to athletics and coaching where knowledge was gained in cheerleading skills and formations for college level athletic teams.
- Exposure to and training in the fundamentals of dance to include choreography skills.
- Interpersonal skills to work effectively with student-athletes and other members of the Athletic Department.
- Ability to advise and motivate student-athletes.
- Ability to handle emergency situations involving students.
- Current driver’s license and good driving record.
- Ability to travel with the team.
- Ability to work evening and weekends and some holidays.
- This position does require the ability for regular physical exertion including the ability to spot all cheerleading skills including, but not limited to Stunting, Jumps and Tumbling.
- AACCA Certification.
- Current CPR and First Aid certification.
At the College’s discretion, the education and experience prerequisites may be excepted where the candidate can demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the College, an equivalent combination of education and experience specifically preparing the candidate for success in the position.
Employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment background checks.