Technical Support Specialist
*This job posting is for two vacant positions*
The University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS) is one of four campuses in the University of Colorado system and is home to over 12,400 undergraduate and 1,800 graduate students. UCCS is among the fastest growing universities in the state and is consistently ranked as one of the top Western regional universities by U.S. News & World Report. Colorado Springs, (pop. 400K+) is situated at the base of Pikes Peak, offers many recreational and cultural activities and was recently ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top Best Places to Live in the U.S.
Nature of Work
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) Department is seeking a Technical Support Specialist. The Technical Support Specialist position resides within the Information
Technology Department of the University of Colorado Colorado Springs. With
direction from the OIT Manager of Academic Support, this position is responsible for providing smart classroom support to all OIT supported rooms at UCCS.
- Provide ongoing support of smart classrooms, computerized classrooms and open computer labs, including responding to phone calls from faculty and customers requiring immediate technical assistance.
- Provide ongoing maintenance to smart classroom equipment.
- Train Information Technology student employees to provide customer support for generally funded campus computing labs and classrooms.
- Implement student employee hours and services to meet requirements.
- Ensure hours of operation are fully covered and staffed with student employees.
- Work very closely with service owners to ensure smart classrooms remain at peak operational efficiency and meet the needs of our faculty.
- Maintain training room schedule and work closely with events and conferencing teams to provide support within computerized classrooms.
- Ensure equipment in computer labs is properly maintained and issues are escalated to service owner.
- Assists with smart classroom and podium training to faculty.
Work with managers and staff to meet user needs in a responsive, efficient manner:
- Maintain technical and training documentation for Academic Services support
- Maintain web pages and training materials for campus A/V
- Participate in strategic planning meetings providing A/V and customer oriented views
- Work with department supervisors and Executive Director to establish department mission, goals and objectives. Help create long-term vision for the department and campus information technology
- Ability to move quickly throughout campus to resolve various A/V issues within numerous schools on campus
- Assist with employees' files and other documentation to make sure all are updated and comply with requirements of student employment.
- Maintain training program to ensure employees are able to properly support customers.
Provide tech support and guidance on software installation, utilization and troubleshoot:
- Respond to third level escalations
- Determine root cause for escalated problems
- Diagnose, fix and document complex system problems
- Exchange technical information with colleagues
- Stay current with technologies, and continuously adapt the procedures used to complete the functions of the Information Technology Department
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of Windows 7 and greater , Mac OS and Mobile operating systems
Provide support and lead problem solving and implementation efforts for customer problems
- Communicating with end users regarding A/V technology usage
- Work with faculty members to demonstrate products and facilitate discussion regarding use of technology in the classrooms
- Strong Customer Service Experience: Understanding of customer's needs, customer service attitude
- Support meet and greet sessions with internal and external customers, facilitate the set up and running for non-class related presentations
- Provide immediate support if a call gets escalated from student employees or IT Help Desk. Support a quick response time to various buildings throughout campus, this sometimes means quick trips across campus
- Assist IT Staff in other projects and duties as assigned
Designs, develops, builds and evaluates products or technologies
- Provide internal consultation as an A/V subject matter expert.
- Meet with vendors/prospective vendors to evaluate products
- Research and recommend A/V hardware to Manager and Director as requested
- Understanding of network systems and how they are used in A/V
Interact with other organizations to develop solutions for anticipated IT technical needs
- Strong customer service experience: understanding of customer's needs, customer service attitude; understanding of the University, and how it is impacted
- Manage ongoing maintenance and repairs to campus technology
- Use the Information Technology Service Management (ITSM), currently Cherwell Service Management to track incidents and service requests. Verifying all requests are logged and properly resolved according to Service Level Agreements
Salary (Non-Negotiable): $42,723.00
This position has been determined to be exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
- Position requires graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree or able to graduate within six months from date of hire, and a minimum of two years of previous IT professional troubleshooting experience in a college or university setting.
- Knowledgeable of various A/V control system programs and hardware.
- Strong understanding of ITIL/ITSM principals.
- One year of previous A/V troubleshooting experience in a college setting.
- 4 years customer service experience
- 1 year of supervisory experience including delegating tasks and ensuring employees follow procedures
Special Instructions to Applicants:• Applications submitted by October 25, 2018 will receive full consideration. • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. • Official Transcripts will be required upon hire.
* Travel for in-person interviews will not be reimbursed. • The successful candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States upon hire. • The University of Colorado Colorado Springs will not sponsor work visas or permanent resident applications for this position. * Tentative on campus interviews November 5th, with a potential start date of November 15, 2018 * Please ensure to upload your required documents as seperate files. If you have technical difficulties with your application, please contact the CU Careers help desk at 303-860-4200 #5 or [email protected] Job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Unofficial transcript(s)
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40087 - IT Administrative Operations
Posting Date: Oct 11, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Ryan Laroy
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00755516