Requisition # 2018-9447
Category Information Technology
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Princeton University's Department of Physics is currently seeking a Systems Administrator/Developer to provide primary technical and systems support, specifically bringing hands-on experience with supporting Linux clusters and their associated networks, storage devices and web application development, in an academic environment.
This individual will be responsible for supporting the following services and infrastructure:
- Administer departmental Linux cluster and workstations, and assist physics research groups in utilizing University's central cluster having over 20,000 cores and growing.
- Storage servers at petabyte scale with disk-to-disk backups.
- Clustering tools such as SLURM, Ganglia, Puppet, and Nagios etc.
- High-speed networks based on 10 Gbps, Fiber Channel and Infiniband.
- Web based Content Management Systems (CMS) such as Drupal, WordPress and Joomla.
- Security of computing resources against local and external cyber-attacks.
- Modern resource sharing with tools like PhEDEx and GRID Computing.
- Installing/configuring/upgrading physics related software packages.
- Staying current on industry trends, new technologies, and recommend initiatives.
- Provide additional services and tasks, as required.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Technology, Engineering or Science. Masters preferred.
- Two years' experience in Linux and MySQL database administration.
- Intermediate level experience with Bash, PHP and Perl/Python.
- Fundamentals of programming in one of the following: C/C++/Java/Fortran.
- Experience with web based Content Management Systems such as Drupal, WordPress or Jumla.
- Skills in the management of software applications used in physics research, like MATLAB, Mathematica, LabVIEW, Origin, TeX/LaTeX, CERN Root, CMSSW, scipy.
- Knowledge and understanding of modern TCP/IP network protocols and services.
- Basic understanding of electronic hardware and DAQ techniques.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs., twist, bend and work in awkward positions.
- Knowledge of the following technologies and operating systems: Microsoft Windows, Office, SharePoint, Adobe Creative suite, Print & File sharing, Cloud computing, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability in identifying systems-related issues and taking actions necessary to improve or correct system emergencies.
- Linux Administration certification.
- Prior experience with virtualization, visualization and video conferencing technologies.
- Exposure to iOS and Android in Tablets/mobile device technology.
- Demonstrated interest in keeping abreast of new and emerging software and technologies.
- Prior work experience in an academic/research environment.
- Demonstrated initiative, excellent organizational skills, ability to work within a team and to work independently, managing multiple priorities simultaneously within tight timelines.
- Strong interpersonal skills, enthusiasm for customer service, and the ability to work with students, staff, and faculty from diverse backgrounds.
- Flexibility regarding schedule; must be willing to work after hours/weekends, as needed.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Go to our careers site.