ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGER, MATHEMATICS DEPT.
ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGER, MATHEMATICS DEPT.
Provide overall administrative management and coordination of a variety of business related functions such as finance, budget, personnel, space and facilities planning, grant administration, maintenance and policy interpretation and dissemination of a large, complex and active University department.
FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITIES - 50%
• Plan departmental budget needs by analyzing program plans on both a short and long-term basis, including projecting possible levels of support from different sources of funding.
• Prepare and submit (along with chair) the annual budget, financial and operational reports and analyses reflecting progress,adverse trends and appropriate recommendations and conclusions. Adjust the budget for changes in faculty, monthly and biweekly staff.
• Advise chair and officers on finances for short and long-term planning of department operations and programs.
• Prepare and review monthly financial statements. Review codes for overdrafts and enact appropriate measures to clear overdrafts.
• Ensure compliance to University and external sponsor polices and GAAPs.
• Manage capital purchases and routine office purchases of the department.
• Monitor endowments and advise chair on uses of endowments for programs and department events.
• Advise and assist the Math Department's grant managers, who are principally responsible for helping faculty prepare grant proposals and applications, including help in project budget development.
• Serve as subject matter expert for all types of financial transactions (corporate card, procurement, payroll, cost transfers). Ensure adherence to deadlines.
• Review and approve non- grant related expense reports and oversee the grant-related reports.
OPERATIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES - 50%
• Provide advice, planning, and support for major department activities or events.
• Supervise and plan with department staff to coordinate operational activities providing support for the undergraduate studies program and the graduate program.
• Ensure adequate staffing for departmental work throughout the academic year, space and facilities; coordinate maintenance and renovation activities for the department; administer a program of property management and accountability.
• Serve as departmental liaison with administrative and professional personnel concerning University policies and procedures,personnel administration, grant administration, and budgetary preparation and control.
• Interpret department policies, by-laws, and procedures with the chair; make decisions on operating problems and issuing instructions in the name of the department in accordance with departmental precedents and policies.
• Maintain records on appointments, including regular and secondary appointments, adjuncts, and visiting positions and advise chair on appointments, terms, and reappointments.
• Supervise preparation of payroll for all faculty, staff, graduate and undergraduate students. Hold orientation meetings with new faculty concerning department policies and procedures.
• Represent department in meetings and other affairs of administrative nature.
• Supervise visa process for foreign national faculty and postdocs.
• Oversee administrative aspects of faculty recruitment, appointment and promotion processes.
• Advise departmental chair on routine administration of departmental business.
• Liaise with the Office of the Dean for Finance and Administration, Human Resources, and other administrative offices as appropriate.
• Supervise departmental staff, reviewing completed work for adherence to instructions or corrections, and coordinate staff work in the fulfillment of the department's instructional and research-related missions. Approve time cards for students and staff.
• Co-ordinate computer and network needs of the department with Math's two IT staff.
• Be accessible to the chair, faculty and staff. Hold staff meetings/trainings regularly to keep staff informed; attend Arts & Sciences meetings associated with performance of business operations of the department.
• With approval of the chair, make office assignments and coordinate with A&D Facilities Office on furnishings.
Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
1493 ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGER
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a general business back ground generally equivalent to abachelor's degree in a business related field.
Work requires 4 years related business or administrative experience toacquire competence in applying general personnel practices, accountingand budgeting principles and coordination of major administrativefunctions.A master's degree in a business related field may be substituted for 2years experience.OR ANY OTHER EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OREXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.