Assistant Director, Graphic Designer
Hyde Park Campus
About the Unit
The University of Chicago Booth School of Business is the second-oldest school in the U.S. and second to none when it comes to influencing business education and business practices. Since 1898, the school has produced ideas and leaders that shape the world of business. Their rigorous, discipline-based approach to business education transforms students into confident, effective, respected business leaders prepared to face the toughest challenges. Chicago Booth has the finest set of facilities of any business school in the world. Each of the four campuses (two in Chicago, one in London, and one in Hong Kong) reflects the architectural traditions of its environs while offering a state-of-the-art learning environment. Chicago Booth is proud to claim: -an unmatched faculty. -degree and open enrollment programs offered on three continents. -a global body of nearly 50,000 accomplished alumni. - strong and growing corporate relationships that provide a wealth of lifelong career opportunities. As part of the world-renowned University of Chicago, Chicago Booth shares the University's core values that shape the distinctive intellectual culture. At Booth, they constantly question and test ideas, and seek proof. This extraordinarily effective approach to business leads to new ideas and innovative solutions. Seven of the Booth faculty members have won Nobel Prizes for these ideas - the first business school to achieve this accomplishment. For more information about the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, please visit: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/
As part of the Creative team in the Marketing & Communications Department at Chicago Booth, the Assistant Director, Graphic Designer conceptualizes, develops, and produces a wide variety of original print, interactive, and multimedia projects for the University of Chicago Booth School of Business and contributes in a thoughtful way to the overall marketing efforts of Chicago Booth. The Graphic Designer will generate thoughtful and strategic design concepts that meet a wide range of Booth marketing and branding objectives. Graphic Designer will maintain on-going dialogue with their Creative Director, proactively working to refine concepts and align each project with enterprise level brand direction.
- Under the direction of the Creative Director, contributes to the marketing efforts of Chicago Booth through the thoughtful execution of collateral marketing programs. Collateral deliverables range from websites, videos, social media, and event branding campaigns, annual reports, magazines, invitations, posters, and mobile applications. Graphic Designer will clearly articulate the rationale for their work and present work in the context of project briefs.
- Maintain daily priorities and partner requests.
- Partnering with members of the Content, Interactive and Marketing team, strategically design solutions for a variety of internal communications, such as alumni events and development opportunities, admissions materials, and annual reports for Research and Learning centers.Work with Interactive team to ensure continuity of these design elements on web sites and through social media.
- Develop a deep knowledge of Booth style and brand guidelines and be able to communicate and apply that knowledge on a daily basis.
- Assist with press checks, photo and video shoots or recording sessions for project-related work.
- Produce cutting-edge design in a wide variety of materials:
- Translate content into meaningful layouts using Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop for digital and email efforts
- Apply universal brand tone and style as established by Creative Director and carry it through all elements of a project; including photography and videography
- Developing storyboards for video and animated content
- Making design and content revisions
- Preparing electronic files for interactive and print pre-press
- Conducting photo research
- Assembling comps/paper dummies
Education, Experience OR Certifications:
- Bachelor's degree in graphic design, journalism, multimedia, marketing, or a related field required.
- A minimum of three years of experience in digital design, creative advertising, multimedia or a related field required.
Technical Knowledge or Skills:
- Complete familiarity with Apple Macintosh environment required.
- Deep knowledge of and fluency with the Adobe Creative Suite required.
- Familiarity of interactive and mobile user experience design, CSS and HTML5 protocols and best practices preferred.
- Outstanding attention to detail, ability to juggle multiple projects in deadline-oriented environment and exceptional organizational skills required.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision required.
- Ability to structure video narratives, non-linear editing timelines, and sound design.
- Ability to shoot DSLR video, manage media and edit video content preferred.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a variety of creative scenarios required.
- Ability to present concepts and explain the reasons behind creative decisions required.
- Discipline and flexibility required.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously required.
- Prolonged use of computer and intensive keyboard use required.
- Willingness and ability to travel periodically, including out-of-state, required.
- Cover letter
- Graphic design samples
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
Depends on Qualifications
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/