College Relations and Communications - VISUAL DESIGNER
Vacancy ID S2308 Job Title VISUAL DESIGNER Department College Relations and Communications School/Parent Organization College Relations and Advancement Parent Org Division College Relations and Advancement Division Employment Category Fulltime-Regular Anticipated start date 08/20/2018 If temporary, expected end date Hours per week 37.5 Weeks Per Year 52.20 Normal Start Time 08:30 Normal End Time 17:00 Position/Job Summary
Ithaca College is looking for an experienced designer who challenges themselves to think strategically, turning standard deliverables into powerful communication tools; someone who has confidence in their craft and jumps at the opportunity to problem-solve collaboratively; a conceptual thinker who has the experience and skill set to make those concepts a reality.
The successful candidate will bring their design, layout, and branding experience to the table to collaborate heavily with a multi-disciplinary group of creatives-each master of their specialty-as part of the Creative Strategy and Development team. They will work with other designers to create intelligent, compelling designs and concepts that effectively reach the college's key audiences - prospective students and their caregivers, alumni, staff, faculty and community members. On a larger scale, they will work to sustain and grow Ithaca College's brand, assuring a cohesive and evolving visual identity throughout all initiatives and projects.
Candidates should have a portfolio that demonstrates their strong design sense and experience. A portfolio that provides insight into the design process and thinking, with an emphasis on editorial design, conceptual design, craftsmanship with typography, brand-building is preferred. Experience with campaigns across platforms and channels is a definite plus.
• Work in conjunction with the Design Director, the Executive Director, and the creative team as a cross-platform designer in support of a strong, consistent brand identity.
• Produce work for all mediums, including print, Web, email, and promotional products for a variety of audiences, including prospective and current students, alumni, faculty, staff, parents, and friends of the college.
• Apply understanding of the "bigger picture" in a creative way, keeping in mind the mission and strategic goals of the department, unit, and College.
• Implement the College's visual guidelines to maintain integrity of IC branding
• Stay abreast of the latest design trends and technology and experiment with how to integrate them into the organization's brand.
• Conceptualize, organize, and create cost effective designs for digital and print publications within a budget, timeline, and other potential constraints.
• Prepare sketches and layouts; select elements for the design, such as colors, artwork, photography, animation, style of type; select the appropriate materials for the final product.
• Work closely with the campus Print Shop and external printing vendors to ensure the quality and intention for print designs.
• Develop and demonstrate a multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse and respectful College community. Demonstrate civil and inclusive behavior when interacting with staff, faculty, students and visitors to the College. Promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment and engage in educational opportunities to increase awareness and understanding of diversity and inclusion.
• Bachelor's degree in the arts, graphic design or related field (or 4 years of progressively demanding design work) and a minimum of 2 years of design experience;
• In-depth knowledge of design concepts, print and electronic composition, portfolio illustrating strong skills in concepting and developing high-quality visuals that displays a keen understanding of user-centric design approach to marketing and branding in all mediums;
Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to effectively work and interact respectfully within a diverse and inclusive environment;
• Clear understanding of visual system, robust typographic skills and enthusiasm for creating visual narratives;
• Solid working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software;
• Experience working directly with clients and partners preferred;
• Experience with content management systems preferred;
• Experience working with print vendors, creating files for print and attending press checks preferred;
• Experience building/creating extensive visual brand guides a plus;
• Knowledge of the education market - teachers, students, school administrators a plus.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested applicants must apply online at http://ithaca.edu/jobs/ and attach a resume, cover letter, list of three professional references and link to an online portfolio. Questions about online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Screening of applications will begin immediately.
Work authorization (select one): Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position Department description College Description
At Ithaca College, a comprehensive residential campus community of 6,500 students, we strive to be at the forefront of the higher education landscape. We offer a distinct integrative learning experience that makes students ready for the personal, professional, and global challenges of our age.
We seek candidates who embrace integrative learning and want to be a part of this exciting time in Ithaca College history. We encourage creative collaboration and innovation in our faculty and staff, providing support and resources for them to grow in their fields and lead students to their own innovative ideas and achievements.
We welcome different ways of thinking and look for candidates with unique points of view and life experiences. We are inclusive of individuals with a wide range of cultural, personal, and professional backgrounds, talents, and skills. Our campus is a vibrant and rewarding community where diverse minds can learn, succeed, and excel.
When reviewing candidates, we are looking for indicators of a number of core competencies. Prospective candidates must be adaptable, collaborative, inclusive, respectful, responsive, results driven, and sustainable. They must communicate effectively, demonstrate leadership, exhibit professional integrity and ethics, take initiative, value personal and professional development, and show that they will engage in the college.
Nestled in the heart of New York State's scenic Finger Lakes region, Ithaca College sits atop South Hill overlooking picturesque Cayuga Lake and is just minutes away from the city center. Combining small town warmth and charm with the vibrancy of a college community, the thriving and culturally diverse city of Ithaca has been rated by Kiplinger's as one of the top 10 places to live in the United States.
To learn more about Ithaca College, visit us at http://ithaca.edu
Market Hiring Range $48,000 - $52,000 FLSA Status Exempt Is this position eligible for benefits? Yes
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Reference List
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).