Primary responsibilities are providing customer service at the circulation desk, performing general circulation tasks (checking materials in and out, creating library accounts, etc.), providing assistance to patrons with library materials and equipment use, answering ready-reference and directional questions, and helping to direct student workers. Additional responsibilities include support of the Learning Commons including directing patrons to the appropriate service provider, backup for Kislak Center desk, welcome patrons and ensuring a safe and consistent experience, assisting patrons with account issues, collecting the requested books from the stacks (“paging”) and participating in library opening or closing duties. Assist the supervisor in maintaining a scholarly atmosphere within the library building. This position may assume responsibility for opening or closing the library as well as overall building responsibility when a supervisor is not on duty. This position may be required to work at the Gables and Miami Lakes locations.
This regular, full-time position may be required to work during any of the library operations hours which are Monday through Thursday 7:30 am to 2:00 am, Friday 7:30 am to 10:00 pm, Saturday 9:00 am to 10:00 pm, Sunday 9:00 am to 2:00 am and 24/7 during End of Semester Exam periods. During shortened and summer hours, schedule varies. This position is slated to work Sunday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm and Monday through Thursday 10:00 am to 6:00 pm but subject to change as needed by the department.ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES (include percentages of time)
Provide service at the Circulation & Reserves Service Desks
Access Desk Responsibilities
- Provide excellent customer service at all times.
- Supervision of the access desk, central service zone ensuring completion of daily workflow.
- Check out, check in, and renew library, ILL and Reserve materials.
- Make appropriate referrals to Learning Commons academic service partners and library departments as needed.
- Provide ready-reference and library equipment assistance (e.g. printers, microfilm readers, etc.).
- Monitor the library building and reports facilities complaints to Facilities Manager or other appropriate departments. Reports security problems to Public Safety.
- Answer questions regarding patron accounts and library procedures (i.e. reserves, study room reservations, Interlibrary loan etc.)
- Responsible for opening and closing of the library.
- Perform basic printer troubleshooting, and report malfunctions to the Systems Support Desk.
- Welcome guests, issue and update library patron permits/passes and Temporary CaneIDs.
- Ensure library entrance, access desk and public areas are neat and equipped with the necessary supplies.
- Resolve patron situations and issues
Assist with Stacks Maintenance, UML location & processing duties
- Assist in shelving or sorting returned materials as needed
- Process transit requests for library materials from all lending locations.
- Deliver and retrieve library materials from all lending locations.
- Assist remote storage supervisor with duties at the off campus facility
- Perform searches for library materials and assist with inventory process.
- Monitor supply levels and order supplies as necessary.
- Maintain updated procedures manuals for processing duty.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Experience, Skills, Training, etc)
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Two years of related experience required or two years of college.
- Valid Florida Driver’s License
- Typing skills of at least 25 wpm.
- Experience with Microsoft Office or equivalent software including Word, Excel, and Outlook required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Customer service skills required
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds, push 50+ pounds and reach while on a stool.
- Fluency with Ex Libris Alma or similar library system preferred.
- Experience with maintenance of library collections.
- Fluency with Ex Libris Alma / Primo library systems platform or other Library system and Circulation Module preferred.
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
- Experience with the maintenance of special or archival collections.
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us!]]>