The University of Miami Facilities & Operations dept (Coral Gables campus) is seeking a Sr. Energy Technician.
GENERAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Must be capable of leading change, leading staff/personnel, building coalitions, demonstrate acumen for business, and must also be results driven.
2. Must be able to find/frame/execute initiatives and programs that drive efficiencies, optimize productivity, and drive organizational costs savings.
3. Must be able to manage vendors, develop competitive bids, and provide vendor recommendations for work requiring vendor support.
4. Must be able to manage selected deferred maintenance projects.
5. Must possess understanding and awareness of the University’s Facilities Condition Report (FCR), and provides updates as needed to ensure accuracy of building conditions for the utility plants and equipment contained within. To accomplish this initiative, it will require performance of regularly scheduled inspections and assessments of these facilities.
6. Must ensure compliance with the departmental Facilities Maintenance Program.
7. Must understand and adhere to Department Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and University Policies and Procedures to ensure compliance with all safety, environmental and University regulations.
8. Must perform regular review and continued development of a comprehensive and effective preventive maintenance program for the utility plants, chilled water loop, and all associated equipment.
9. Must ensure the completion of preventive maintenance program functions in a timely and thorough manner.
10. Must ensure the ongoing cleanliness and maintenance of the physical space for mechanical rooms and storage facilities for the utility plants.
11. Assists in the development of efficient planning and assists Facilities Managers/Director with daily shop operations.
12. Must respond to Facilities Manager/Director Ad-Hoc requests in a timely manner.
13. Responsible to assist Facilities Manager/Director in addressing and handling unforeseen emergencies in their respective areas.
14. Must provide a high level of customer service.
15. Look for opportunities to reduce energy consumption. Take action and/or report your recommendations to your facilities supervisor.
16. Daily inspection of University vehicles assigned to subordinate staff.
17. Performs routine building inspection; takes corrective action; and/or reports regularly to the Director of any deficiencies or needed action in area of responsibility.
18. Is on the alert for any deficiencies, (i.e., economic, safety, regulatory, energy conservation), and recommends corrective action to the Director.
19. Must maintain records of jobs performed, departmental charge codes, and hours worked by employees and time card approval.
20. Must coordinate activities with other trade areas, project manager, or outside contractors.
21. When requested, must be responsible for making accurate estimates and completing work within the costs estimated.
22. The Sr Energy Technician will also assume a leadership role in specific and assigned various special projects, per departmental need.
23. Must maintain a positive relationship and customer-centric focus with stakeholders by being responsive to their needs.
24. Must possess the ability to lead team with effective and open communication, while coaching and establishing team building.
25. Must objectively seek and resolve problems and issues in a pro-active manner.
26. Coordinates with the facilities manager to address all employee HR issues (conflict resolution, problem solving, appropriate corrective measures, etc.) with integrity and objectivity.
27. Must prioritize and identify the appropriate resources (tools, materials, contractors, etc.) for maintenance problem resolutions.
28. Must effectively manage contractors & outsourced functions.
29. Must ensure University of Miami energy conservation practices are implemented and adhered to.
30. Will be responsible for maintaining assigned budget for labor, materials, contractors and outsourced functions and other expenses.
31. Must ensure documents (time cards, work orders, etc.) are completed properly and in a timely manner.
32. Must have the ability to respond in a quick and responsive manner.
33. Must participate in ongoing training with a minimum of 2 professional development courses during the fiscal year addressing leadership and/or technical knowledge enhancement.
34. Must perform other work, duties, and responsibilities as assigned by or in the absence of the Energy Manager.
35. Must have overall knowledge of Building Maintenance and/or Facilities Management of applicable system and related technical terminology, applications, features, and/or services;
36. Ability to interpret applicable reference manuals and apply department procedures;
37. Understanding of procedures for setting up and operating assigned systems and/or equipment;
38. Ability to perform regular preventative maintenance and service on assigned equipment/systems, including ability to identify, solve, and prevent problems;
39. Ability to use basic diagnostic and test equipment and interpret and document operations-related malfunctions;
40. Ability to interpret system status reports and messages;
41. Familiarity with network and operating system requirements;
42. Ability to monitor and adjust Building Management Systems (BMS).
43. Ability to interpret equipment/system output, detect errors, and take corrective action;
44. Demonstrated ability to work and communicate with users to effectively identify and efficiently meet their requirements
45. Ability to distinguish operation performance trends and recommend modifications to improve performance.
46. Other duties as assigned.
This position reports directly to the Energy Manager or designee.
1. Must have/provide High School diploma or equivalent
2. Must have performance and strong knowledge in the craft environment of Building Maintenance and /or Facilities Management, for at least five (5) years.
3. Must have a minimum of five (5) years of full time experience in energy control systems in a energy technician capacity. Work experience must be related to the installation and service of building electrical and direct digital control systems. A Trade School certificate is preferred.
4. Must continuously possess a valid Florida Driver’s License and be able to meet the insurance requirements of the University of Miami.
5. Must have excellent written and verbal English language communication skills, as oral and written instructions are disseminated in English by the department, the University community and outside entities.
6. Must be capable of data input, data extraction, and interpretation of the computerized maintenance management system and the operations of MS-Excel and Word.
7. Must have proven emphasis on teamwork, cooperation, customer relations, and leadership in problem solving, and provide a customer-oriented service group to meet the changing needs of the University environment.
8. Effectively manages and coaches staff and identifies areas of development or training.
9. Must be willing and able to perform shift work, to respond to after-hours emergency call-in, to work with other crafts and other duties as assigned.
10. Must be willing and able to work in conditions that are adverse (i.e. hot, dusty, cramped, wet, dirty, enclosed, and work from heights and areas where climbing is required).
11. Must be able to operate power hand tools.
12. Must be able to read blue prints, do material take-off calculations, accurate cost estimating.
13. Must possess working knowledge of refrigeration systems, construction and operation of large capacity Chillers, operation and repair of HVAC Systems and associated components, and knowledge of pneumatic and l electronic control systems.
14. Must comply with and enforce the policies and procedures of the University of Miami, and the policies and procedures of the Facilities Administration. Department.
15. Must keep skill sets current with the needs of the working environment.
16. Must maintain time schedules and work with varied and flexible schedules in the University environment.
17. Must have good leadership skills and lead by example.
18. Must follow and support University and Departmental Mission Statements and Core Values:
- Quality Workmanship,
- Honesty, Integrity and Ethical Behavior,
- Respect for Each Other,
- Providing a high level of Customer Service / Customer Satisfaction.
19. Must complete about 8 hours of training for the National Incident Management System (NIMS) certification for this position.
20. Must have excellent customer service, communications and interpersonal skills. Must be professional, responsive, and reliable and exceed customer expectations.
21. Must have sufficient physical ability, strength, manual dexterity, and lifting ability to lift, move or carry 50 lbs. over a distance of 20 feet. This includes but is not limited to handling equipment for specialist crafts, carpentry, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, motors, pumps, air conditioning components, lighting fixtures and poles, concrete work, and carpentry. Must be able to work from heights and in areas where climbing is required up to 40 feet. An example and frequency of these Physical abilities is outlined below:
Physical Abilities: Amount of time spent in the following activities:
1. Sedentary 10 lbs maximum frequent
2. Light 20 lbs maximum frequent
3. Medium 50 lbs maximum frequent
4. Heavy 100 lbs maximum some
5. Very Heavy 100 lbs plus infrequent
B. Stooping frequent K. Pulling frequent
C. Kneeling frequent L. Climbing frequent
D. Crouching some M. Balancing frequent
E. Crawling infrequent N. Standing constant
F. Reaching constant O. Walking constant
G. Handling constant P. Twisting constant
H. Sitting frequent Q. Bending constant
I. Feeling constant R. Abnormal
J. Pushing frequent Posture some
22. Other duties as assigned.Apply online. Position #P100006015
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information-https://www.hr.miami.edu/careers/employment-laws-eo/index.html]]>