Working hours: 11pm - 7:30am (overnight)
The University of Miami Facilities Management Department is seeking a Maintenance Mechanic who will maintain the physical assets of the University Coral Gables campus in as-new condition under the guidance of the Facilities Management Maintenance Program.
This is a dependable and responsible individual who maintains and repairs UM Coral Gables campus buildings, assets and facilities. The maintenance mechanic encompasses building maintenance skills of a limited nature in all crafts: carpentry, electrical, plumbing, painting, mechanical, HVAC, roofing, and general building-related items.
This position requires good communication skills and a positive “can do” attitude. Oral and written instructions are received in English from the Customer Service Department and/or the Facility Manager. Fills out and supplies detailed records, files, logs, time sheets, vacation schedules, and component drawings. The work orders are processed and handled in a timely manner as required to keep the campus secure and operational.
This semi-skilled worker handles all phases of building maintenance, equipment, materials, and installation; including operation work such as construction, alteration, systems, controls, and components. This position requires close coordination, cooperation, and interaction with foremen of other trades, peer employees, customers and Facilities Management personnel.
The incumbent has an emphasis on teamwork and accountability. Furthermore interfaces with code inspectors and regulatory agencies to ensure compliance with all aspects of regulations and compliance in University installations.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Works in compliance with the Facilities Maintenance Program.
• Performs the preventative maintenance program functions in a timely and thorough manner.
• Interprets Policies and Procedures of the University of Miami to ensure compliance with all safety and environmental regulations.
• Keeps thorough, detailed and up to date records on activities in the maintenance area.
• Provides all necessary maintenance and operations information on time.
• Requests technical training as needed in the areas of responsibility. Also may provide training to other mechanics.
• Monitors, processes and aids in the development of efficient planning.
• Performs routine building inspection, takes corrective action, and/or reports regularly to the supervisor any deficiencies or needed action in area of responsibility.
• The maintenance mechanic must be able to determine Facilities Management funded or non- funded activities and report any uncertainties to the Facilities Manager.
• The maintenance mechanic is on the alert for any deficiencies, (i.e., economic, safety, regulatory, energy conservation), and recommends corrective action to the Facilities Manager.
• Operates, maintains, and repairs equipment and facilities as listed in the Facilities Maintenance Program.
• Performs installations and fabrications within the specifications of the University programs at a generalist skill level.
• Maintains neat, orderly work area, and safeguards tools, equipment, and spare parts.
• Inputs preventive maintenance work order tickets and uses computerized maintenance management program.
• Reports to the Facilities Manager and/or any designee.
Specific Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The Facilities Management Maintenance Mechanic:
• This position must have a High School Diploma or GED plus five (5) years or more industry experience in positions of increasing responsibility.
• This position is primarily responsible for ensuring the accomplishment of assigned preventive maintenance tasks and schedules.
• This position also is the primary response for “after-hours” maintenance requests. These duties also include the response and repair effort for fire alarm concerns.
• This position requires initiative, judgment, and solid communication skills.
• This position requires basic PC equipment knowledge, to include the TMA work order management system, M/S Outlook, and those programs required to maintain schedules of all equipment being serviced.
• Position is considered to be essential personnel and must be able to perform outside normal working hours to include shift work, respond to after hour emergencies, call-backs, holiday coverages, weekends, or as required for the operational needs of the University.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, with ability to effectively handle conflict resolution and problem solving.
• Must have excellent people skills in order to build positive relationship with staff, customers and stakeholders.
• Must have good leadership skills “Leads by Example”.
• Must be able to multi-task with strong prioritization, scheduling and delegation abilities.
• Must have excellent organizational skills.
• Must have knowledge and ability with the management and Management of outside services providers.
• Must have proven emphasis on teamwork, cooperation, customer relations, and leadership in problem solving.
• Must keep skill sets current with the needs of the working environment. Must maintain time schedules and work with varied and flexible schedules in the University environment.
• Must be able to operate power equipment
• Must comply with and enforce the policies and procedures of Facilities Management; and complies and enforces all safety rules and requirements.
• Must posses and maintain a valid Florida driver's license and be able to meet the insurance requirements of the University of Miami, and have a good driving record.
• Has basic knowledge of data analysis and computer skills (to include: Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel).
• Maintains a positive working relationship with University staff and adheres and supports the University’s DIRECCT Common Purpose, Values and Behaviors and Service Standards.
• Must subscribe to the Departmental Vision and to the Departmental Core Values:
• Quality Workmanship Honesty, Integrity and Ethical Behavior Respect for Each Other Providing a high level of Customer Service / Customer Satisfaction
• Must have sufficient physical ability, strength, manual dexterity, and lifting ability (i.e. to lift, move, or carry 50 lbs. over a distance of 20 feet). This includes but is not limited to handling equipment for specialist crafts, carpentry, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, motors, pumps, air conditioning components, lighting fixtures and poles, concrete work, and carpentry. Must be able to work in conditions which are adverse (hot, dusty, cramped, wet, dirty, enclosed); work from heights and in areas where climbing is required up to 40 feet. An outline and frequency of these tasks is outlined below:
Physical Abilities: Amount of time spent in the following activities:
A. Lifting 1. Sedentary 10 lbs maximum frequent
2. Light 20 lbs maximum frequent
3. Medium 50 lbs maximum frequent
4. Heavy 100 lbs maximum some
5. Very Heavy 100 lbs plus infrequent
B. Stooping frequent K. Pulling frequent
C. Kneeling frequent L. Climbing frequent
D. Crouching some M. Balancing frequent
E. Crawling infrequent N. Standing constant
F. Reaching constant O. Walking constant
G. Handling constant P. Twisting constant
H. Sitting frequent Q. Bending constant
I. Feeling constant R. Abnormal Posture some
J. Pushing frequent
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information-https://www.hr.miami.edu/careers/employment-laws-eo/index.html Come join us!]]>