Managing Director, Physical Plant and Grounds
Bergen Community College, a large community college in Northern Jersey with a diverse student body, has an opportunity for a Managing Director of the Physical Plant and Grounds to oversee all physical plant operations, including planning, budgeting and procurement, monitoring of physical plant operations and code compliance, energy conservation and preventive maintenance programs. This position will work closely with the Director of Campus Planning and Improvements to coordinate and oversee renovation and construction projects and supervise various College departments and personnel, State and County agencies, contractors, architects, engineers and design professionals. Responsibilities include but are not limited to ensuring proper upkeep of facilities and grounds including general appearance, HVAC and other physical plant systems, lighting, cleanliness and sanitation, snow removal, and emergency situations affecting the campus; establishing priorities and developing plans, both long and short term, for all aspects of physical plant operations, including preventive maintenance programs, effective control systems, site and facilities operations and preparing reports on site conditions and plant facilities; coordinating the administration of service contracts for maintenance, repair and other services affecting facilities, equipment and furnishings; maintaining sufficient records, files, controls, procedures to ensure management and work production and updating the repository for all plant blueprints, drawings, and floor plans. The Managing Director will provide technical expertise and guidance to all stakeholders and is responsible for developing annual goals consistent with the College’s strategic plan and for the systematic assessment of programs, activities and services in addition to other related projects and duties as assigned for all college locations. This position will report to the Vice President, Facilities Planning, Operations and Public Safety
- Master’s degree in Engineering or related field related to facilities and construction management or a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering with 10 plus years of experience.
- Minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible experience in facilities management including the direct supervision of staff. Experience working in a collective bargaining environment preferred.
- Must be able available to respond to off-hours emergencies, including weather related emergencies.
- Knowledge of fire and safety management techniques and operations, BOCA and OSHA codes, inventory control systems and general physical plant systems and operations required.
- Experience supervising the execution of work by outside vendors and contractors/subcontractors, to ensure that standards and specifications and project deadlines are met.
- Must be technologically proficient in common office desktop software such as Microsoft Office Suite, and familiar with cloud-based collaborative software and platforms and systems commonly used in facilities and plant management.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills and have a demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects without close supervision.
- Experience preparing, tracking, monitoring an annual budget and preparing budget projections to make requests, both operational and capital and ensuring that projects stay on budget.
- Experience coordinating the purchase of necessary supplies, equipment and services from appropriate sources and maintaining proper inventory control over maintenance and consumable supplies.
All interested candidates should send a letter of intent (including the job code C-PLANT), curriculum vitae, salary requirements, transcripts and three professional references with current contact information. To ensure full consideration, all requested application materials must be received by October 26, 2018. Send materials by e-mail with the appropriate job code in the subject line to [email protected].
Bergen Community College
Department of Human Resources
400 Paramus Road, Room A-316
Paramus, New Jersey 07652
Bergen Community College is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait, marital status, civil union status, domestic partnership status, military services, veteran status and any other category protected by law.