Assistant/Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
SUMMARY OF POSITION ROLE/RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Florida Polytechnic University invites applications for faculty positions beginning August 2019. The Mechanical Engineering program is strategically emphasizing research areas in thermal and fluid sciences, aerospace engineering and systems, biomedical devices, biomechanics, and robotics. Highly qualified candidates with expertise in other areas of Mechanical Engineering may also be considered. Preference will be given to those with prior experience teaching undergraduate and graduate mechanical engineering courses and laboratories, relevant industrial experience, and professional engineering licensure.
The position requires individuals to teach and develop undergraduate and graduate courses, develop a strong research program, conduct interdisciplinary research activities, mentor undergraduate and graduate students, and provide service to the university and the profession. Faculty at Florida Polytechnic University are encouraged to build strong industry relations to further high impact applied research. The department is interested in candidates who are highly collaborative and collegial with a strong commitment to pursuing results-oriented research, student mentoring, and teaching at both graduate and undergraduate levels.
· Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or closely related field with emphasis in the specializations listed above or related field/ areas.
· Credentials by degree and/or experience to support delivery of core courses in the department
DESIRED / PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
· Teaching and/or relevant industry experience
· Demonstrated ability to conduct independent and interdisciplinary funded applied research.
· Experience in curriculum development
· Experience with academic mentoring of students
· Experience in program assessment and execution of a continuous improvement plan
· Experience in serving on various department, college or university committees
· Active participation in professional activities and organizations
· Prior professional US experience with progressive responsibility
· Demonstrated ability to build strong industry relations to further high impact applied research
· Demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with a diverse campus community
ABOUT FLORIDA POLY:
Florida Polytechnic University opened for classes in 2014-15 and is the twelfth university in the Florida State University System. The University was created as a STEM-focused public university that offers high-value undergraduate and graduate degrees and that has intentional industry connections with a focus on economic development of the high-tech I-4 corridor. Dedicated to preparing students for the competitive STEM workforce, Florida Polytechnic University blends traditional subject matter mastery with problem solving and laboratory experiences to provide students with learning opportunities that prepare them for both the workplace and for a career of lifelong learning. The University delivers its courses in small class sizes, emphasizes a positive student to faculty experience, and is dedicated to both its teaching and research mission.
Faculty are employed at Florida Poly via renewable, term defined appointments. Collective bargaining is underway at the University with the Faculty Union and the proposed employment terms substantially mirror tenure systems with reappointment and progression in rank upon completion of a significant review of accomplishments.
Lakeland, home to Florida Polytechnic University’s ultra-modern campus, is located along the I-4 High Tech Corridor halfway between Tampa and Orlando. Our central Florida community combines small town comfort with big-city culture. Florida’s High Tech Corridor is home to 11,000 high-tech businesses, and Polk County alone has more than 600,000 residents, four universities and one state college. Lakeland is just a 45-minute drive from Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, professional sports teams, and thriving performing art centers. With no income tax in Florida, and home values increasing 14.3% on average over the past year, Lakeland and central Florida continue to rise among the best places to live and work.
EXPECTED STARTING SALARY: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE:
• Positions are open until filled (or recruitment cancelled). Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
• Employment is contingent upon proof of the legal right to work in the United States. This proof must be provided prior to employment at the University. An appointment is not final until proof is provided.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All Applicants are required to submit the following in PDF format:
• Letter of Application
• Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae
• Statement of Research Interests
• Statement of Teaching Philosophy
• List of at least 3 professional references (names and contact information) and unofficial copy of the Ph.D./M.Sc. transcript