Assistant Professor - Space, Form, and Process
The Foundation Department at Pratt Institute invites applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor rank to begin Fall 2019. The successful candidate will primarily teach the Space, Form, Process (SFP) course with the ability to teach in at least one additional area, and will be versed in teaching a range of materials and processes to help students work independently and collaboratively to develop ideas and concepts into meaningful, well-crafted works. Proven ability in the classroom and knowledge of different pedagogical practices will be primary considerations. Applicants are also expected to demonstrate rigorous creative research/practice and maintain professional standing in their field of art and/or design.
Beyond teaching and creative research, the applicant will be expected to play an active role in the life of the Department and the Institute. Ability to teach in and across Foundation's four disciplines (listed below) is a strong plus. The successful candidate will take on a leadership position, working with coordinators and facilitators in all disciplines to create a cohesive and integrated first year experience.
The Foundation department teaches first-year undergraduates who will continue their studies in either the School of Art or the School of Design. Located on Pratt's historic 25-acre campus in the culturally diverse neighborhood of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, we are committed to the education and support of artists and professionals, and to building diversity in our curriculum and among our faculty, students, and staff. We seek applicants who can contribute to meeting these goals.
- Teach Space, Form, and Process as well as in at least one additional area at the Foundation level (Light, Color, and Design; Visualization and Representation; Time and Movement)
- Prepare students to major in multiple disciplines in both the School of Art and the School of Design
- Demonstrate and maintain substantial creative accomplishments and professional standing in applicant's field of art and/or design
- Participate in curriculum development and assessment of student learning
- Participate in committee work and other service to the department and Institute.
- Provide leadership for their area, faculty, and staff
- Full-time Foundation faculty teach a load of thirty studio contact hours annually, two six-hour classes per week one semester and three six-hour classes the second semester
An MFA or equivalent, and at least two years of college/university/art school teaching experience, preferably at the Foundation level. A strong record of professional accomplishment in applicant's field of art and/or design is essential. Candidates must also have excellent interpersonal skills, a demonstrated level of intercultural competence, and ability to work well with diverse populations.
SALARY is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please submit a cover letter, CV, pedagogical statement focusing on foundation education, a list of three professional references, 20 examples of work with image script, 10 examples of student work with image script and project outlines, and a statement describing how you have worked to promote diversity, equity and inclusion in your current institution and how you plan on continuing to do so here at Pratt.