Provide skilled labor for the operation, maintenance, and repair of the heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems and mechanical equipment throughout the campus. This position operates within the policies, procedures, standards, and objectives of the Physical Plant and Grounds within the Facilities Management Department.
1. Repair and maintain all EC heating and cooling equipment and mechanical systems at the campus. Maintain an appropriate environment for the building occupants by monitoring, controlling and replacing the HVAC and mechanical systems and equipment for the campus.
2. Adjust necessary controls through computerized control and/or physical inspection. Inspect, lubricate, adjust and repair as necessary to maintain optimum performance.
3. Perform all tasks in a competent and timely manner.
4. Serve as a member of the fire brigade.
5. Perform maintenance and repair on lab support systems, laboratory gases and emergency generator.
6. Perform preventive maintenance and repair of secondary HVAC systems and controls.
7. Adhere to applicable building codes and document all procedures on work orders.
8. Respond to routine and emergency work orders and job assignments as directed by supervisor and staff.
9. Accept responsibility for all activities in the utilities rooms in the residence halls on evenings, nights, and weekend shifts. Coordinate shift relief between shifts. Monitor the environment of the occupied space areas. Follow preventive maintenance programs on all equipment and complete work orders as scheduled.
10. Demonstrate a strong commitment to continuous quality improvement.
11. Support mission, vision, and values.
Other duties and responsibilities:
1. Perform daily inspection and review of machine room as assigned within the campus.
2. Assist in resolving any building tenant’s problems that are related to the inside environmental facilities conditions. Keep all components in good working order, so that the customers are satisfied at all times.
3. Maintain and regularly review backlog of all equipment that may need additional work.
4. Know and comply with EC safety policies and procedures.
5. Report injuries or accidental exposures to supervisor immediately.
6. Participate in assigned training, e.g. CPR, first aid, respirator, general infection control precautions, etc.
7. Review safety procedures associated with assigned tasks regularly and request training as needed.
8. Report safety observed deficiencies to supervisor and/or safety facilitator according to established procedures and standards.
9. Respond to fire alarms and other disaster drills or actual incidents in accordance to established procedures and standards.
10. Use power and hand tools correctly.
11. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. High School Diploma
2. Training acquired through work experience or education.
1. Administrative or technical background acquired through completion of 2 – 3 years of college.
2. Previous job-related experience (fireman, boiler tender and operating engineer) in position at a similar facility.
3. Training on boilers is desired.
Elmhurst College offers more than 60 undergraduate majors, 17 graduate programs, degree-completion programs for busy adults, and the acclaimed Elmhurst Learning and Success Academy for young adults with developmental disabilities. Elmhurst College is one of the Top 10 Colleges in the Midwest, according to U.S. News & World Report; and U.S. News, Money and Forbes magazines consistently rank Elmhurst as one of the Midwest’s best values in higher education. Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a critical component of the College’s mission, vision and core values. Our commitment stems from the belief that an institution of higher learning is enriched by the presence of diversity. Elmhurst College is an EO Employer. Elmhurst College prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, creed, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.