Senior Custodial Supervisor
The Virginia Institute of Marine Science invites qualified applicants to apply for the Senior Custodial Supervisor position. The successful incumbent will not only have custodial experience but also strong supervisory skills and experience.
The Senior Custodial Supervisor is a working supervisor responsible for overseeing the custodial program in support of the Virginia Institute of Marine Science. The position also assists the Director of Facilities Management in management of the department budget.
Reporting to the Director of Facilities Management, the Senior Custodial supervisor fosters and promotes teamwork, professional development, and customer service, and ensures a clean, safe, healthy environment for students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Plans, coordinates, supervises and oversees all custodial operations inside and outside of the Institute’s facilities. Directs daily activities, oversees special projects, coordinate event support, and train housekeeping staff at all levels. Authorizes leave and approves time sheets for all housekeeping personnel (classified and hourly) per established policies and procedures.
- Supports staff to cover vacancies, provides continuous delivery of services, and ensures equitable distribution of work. Conducts regularly scheduled staff meetings to ensure communication channels are being maintained.
- Responds promptly to tenant needs and requests. Resolves problems quickly and effectively. Reports to emergency calls for assistance. Oversees orderliness and cleanliness of housekeeping closets, supply storage areas, and equipment storage areas.
- Orders supplies to support all housekeeping activities and ensure that supplies are delivered to the appropriate site in a timely manner. Submits an annual inventory for all housekeeping equipment including condition of equipment and recommendations for equipment replacement including replacement costs.
The plan should include all housekeeping activities such as: normal daily, weekly and monthly cleaning tasks, window cleaning, carpet cleaning, floor maintenance, etc.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Valid driver’s License
- Knowledge of commercial cleaning practices, including floor and carpet care, cleaning products and equipment, have the ability to work with and properly use or learn to use cleaning chemicals and agents, including dilution and dispensing systems
- Demonstrated knowledge of supervisory principles and conflict resolution, with the ability to evaluate performance and manage the work of others.
- Basic proficiency in computer applications particularly MS Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time; lift and carry objects up to 50lbs; tolerate frequent bending, stooping, and climbing stairs
- Ability to work outdoors in temperatures below 32 degrees and above 90 degrees.
- Demonstrated custodial experience.
- Experience in training and overseeing the work of others.
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Experience working as a Custodial Supervisor is highly preferred.
- Experience in performance management, goal setting, and mentoring of staff.
- Experience in commercial cleaning practices.
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.