The Department of Music at The College of New Jersey (TCNJ) invites outstanding applications for a Program Assistant position. The position is a full-time, 12-month staff position. The Program Assistant is the sole dedicated support staff employee for this academic unit. This position provides professional-level administrative support to the Chairperson and faculty of the Department of Music to ensure the smooth functioning of the Department.
Primary responsibilities for the Program Assistant consist of:
- Serve as Office Manager for the Department, including:
- Maintain an orderly and professional office environment
- Greet visitors and respond to walk-in inquiries
- Assist students with information on departmental procedures and campus offices
- Answer phones and direct messages
- Hire and supervise student employees assigned to the Music Office
- Manage supplies and all aspects of copier usage and maintenance
- Maintain departmental websites
- Provide clerical, secretarial, and administrative support for the Department Chairperson and faculty, including:
- Maintain all academic and financial filing systems
- Maintain the departmental shadow budget, reconcile departmental expenses with web-reports, and process all payments relating to departmental operation
- Manage the Chairperson's calendar
- Prepare adjunct contracts and provide adjuncts with all necessary information
- Schedule courses and manage enrollment
- Prepare correspondences and reports
- Coordinate production of concert programs
- Assist the Department's Auditions Coordinator with entrance auditions
- Facilitate faculty access to College systems and services
- Complete other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
Candidates should have a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and one (1) year of professional experience in education, higher education, or other field related to the functions of the position, including significant experience with analytical strategies, approaches, and software for managing office functions. Applicants who do not possess the required education may substitute experience on a year-for-year basis. Applicants who possess an Associate's degree may substitute two years of position-related experience for the remaining two years of education.
The Program Assistant reports directly to the Chairperson of the Department of Music. Preferred qualifications for the position and personal attributes desired in the successful candidate include:
- Ability to prioritize calmly and professionally and to complete tasks in a busy job environment with multiple items needing attention
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member
- Experience working in arts administration or music production
- Three years of related work experience, including demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office software, database and office management
- Experience in higher education or academic institutions
- Demonstrated experience in web design
- Ability to learn quickly to use the College's existing software packages, such as PAWS (used for course scheduling and registration)
- Flexibility to learn new skills as different duties may arise in the future.
About the Department of Music
The Department of Music is one of the five academic departments in the School of the Arts and Communication. Committed to the education of undergraduates through excellence in teaching, and artistic and scholarly activity, the Department provides three degrees (Bachelor of Arts in Music, Bachelor of Music in Music Education, Bachelor of Music in Performance) and is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.
For more information about the Department, please visit http://music.tcnj.edu
Founded in 1855, TCNJ is a highly selective institution that has earned national recognition for its commitment to excellence. Emphasizing a residential experience for its approximately 6,300 undergraduates, TCNJ is one of Barron's 75 "Most Competitive" American colleges, and U.S. News & World Report's No. 1 public institution of its kind in the northern region of the country. The College also offers focused graduate programs in Nursing, Education, and English. TCNJ was awarded, in 2006, a Phi Beta Kappa chapter-an honor shared by less than 10 percent of colleges and universities nationally. A strong liberal arts core forms the foundation for programs offered through TCNJ's seven schools-Arts and Communication; Business; Education; Engineering; Humanities and Social Sciences; Nursing, Health, and Exercise Science; and Science. For more information about TCNJ, please visit www.tcnj.edu.
This Department of Music Program Assistant is a New Jersey Civil Service position with the state title "Program Assistant." It is included for membership in the Communication Workers of America (CWA) bargaining unit. The starting salary for this position is $42,895.85, range 16. Salary for an internal candidate will be determined in accordance with Civil Service rules.
The College offers a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, and prescription plans, as well as pension, paid leave time, and tuition savings programs. Qualified candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume, and contact information of 3 professional references through the electronic appplication. Final offer of employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation.
Please see the full ad on the TCNJ Careers Website to review all other important information.
To enrich education through diversity, The College of New Jersey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College has a strong commitment to achieving diversity among faculty and staff, and strongly encourages women and members of underrepresented groups to apply.