Field Career Services Coordinator
Career ConsultantPosition Summary
Provide on-site career advising and programming for students within the College of Social Science by engaging the resources, programming, and services of the Career Services Network. Collaboratively set career development goals with deans, faculty, and school/college based staff. Create professional opportunities for MSU students through employer engagement.
Characteristic Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborates with faculty, academic advisors, and colleagues to deliver comprehensive career services for the College of Social Science.
- Connects students to resources, programming, and services of the Career Services Network.
- Develops career exploration and foundation programming for early stage students.
- Provides career consultation on-site to students, including career planning, graduate school preparation and job search strategies.
- Develops, conducts and evaluates field-relevant career readiness activities that may be delivered through technology, classes, career fairs, workshops/programs, outreach and other forums.
- Prepares written communications, reports, and multi-media materials for distribution to constituents and stakeholders. Contributes to Career Services Network and other campus publications.
- Develops college-based employer engagement strategies. Helps identify job and internship opportunities for College of Social Science students.
- Participates in Career Practitioners Group to address professional issues, share best practices, and coordinate multi-unit career development activities.
- Partners with career services colleagues across campus to deliver joint programming. Assists with major campus career events.
- Works in a fast paced environment and manages multiple tasks.
- Builds and sustains strong professional relationships and networks.
- Serves on relevant external groups and committees as needed.
- Attends, presents, and represents University at professional conferences.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a Master's degree, and one to three years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience related to the area of employment; or knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a Bachelor’s degree, and three to five years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience developing career programs and activities; advising individuals and groups in a variety of settings; public speaking; writing and editing for mass distribution; working in a team environment; use of internet, word processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation software; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.Desired Qualifications
Degree in related field; experience working with liberal arts students at the university level in a career advising role or other career-related setting; demonstrated professionalism; excellent customer service skills and attitude; interpersonal, organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills; strong ability to organize, prioritize, and work independently; ability to juggle a variety of responsibilities; willingness and ability to take initiative; ability to be flexible, learn quickly, desire and ability to build relationships with faculty and staff in the College of Social Science, other units and offices at MSU, employers, and alumni; ability to function as a member of a team with a common goal of departmental success.Required Application Materials
Resume, cover letter, and three professional referenceWork Hours
Core hours are 8:00-5:00, but some evenings and weekends may be required.Bidding eligibility ends on 10/9/2018 at 11:55 PM