CLASS-Student Services - 120200
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm; Occasional Overtime
The mission of UNT's College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences is to kindle the thirst for truth, justice, and beauty; to foster cultural literacy and scientific investigation; and to cultivate thinking, speaking, and writing abilities characterized by clear expression and logically coherent, evidence-based arguments. We see these as the values, forms of knowledge, and skills most needed by citizens of a democracy and by productive members of the global workforce.
The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences Advising Office's mission is to teach, assist, and empower students to define, clarify and achieve academic and personal goals through professional, caring service.
The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences Student Services Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire an Academic Counselor to perform advanced advising work regarding degree requirements, academic policies and programming for targeted student populations. This position is on the Communication, Media, and Performance team, which advises for majors in Communication Studies, Converged Broadcast Media, Dance, Media Arts, Professional and Technical Communication, and Theatre.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Counsel/advise a cohort of students with general requirements for assigned majors.
* Develop and implement programs and procedures to promote greater retention and timely graduation for a cohort of majors.
* Develop programs and procedures to promote greater career awareness among students.
* Provide advanced academic counseling for students in complex situations.
* Lead specialized advising workshops.
* Assist with advising for Transfer and Freshman Orientations.
* Advise on transferability of credit from other schools and on AP/IB/CLEP exams, UNT and CLASS core requirements.
* Process degree audits and graduation applications.
* Correspond to student questions via email, phone, or mail.
* Attend, represent, and actively participate at conferences and professional meetings involving advising and student services.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
The successful candidate will possess a Master's Degree and two years of experience in student affairs, student services, counseling, professional academic advising, or related experience. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Considerable knowledge of University policies and procedures related to functional area (or ability to rapidly assimilate).
* Current knowledge of student development and counseling theory.
* Strong presentation, problem solving, and critical thinking skills.
* Strong counseling skills including career development and group facilitation.
* Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations verbally and in writing.
* Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
* Ability to work independently.
* Remains active in professional development.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting