Academic Department Administrator
Job Description Summary:
I. JOB OVERVIEW
The Columbian College of Arts and Sciences (CCAS) is the intellectual and creative backbone of the university, a place where the arts, the humanities, the social sciences, and the natural sciences come together to form a nexus of ideas and opportunity. As a leader among the nation's liberal arts institutions because of an innovative curriculum that emphasizes perspectives, analyses, and communication, undergraduate students are equipped with the competencies needed to be effective and responsible citizens of the 21st Century.
The GWU Language Center facilitates and promotes foreign language studies at the University, providing a wide array of academic support for both faculty and students. We also maintain the Language Center Classroom, the Language Center Seminar Room, the Language Center Media Classroom, and the Language Center Resource Lab to flexibly meet different teaching and learning styles.
The Language Center is seeking an Academic Department Administrator, reporting to the Director of The Language Center, to perform a variety of essential administrative tasks.
• Processes correspondence, reports, course materials, publications, payroll-personnel forms, and academic and administrative records.
• Tracks and maintains media and technology inventory.
• Assists supervisor in planning and preparation of grant or budget proposals and implementing subsequent changes. Monitors and reconciles office expense budgets. Signs purchase orders and wage account forms on behalf of supervisor.
• Monitors and participates in answering of inquiries from students, University staff, sponsors or general public; normally handles more complex inquiries personally.
• Compiles workload statistics and composes or assists in composing operational reports.
• Contacts other University departments to request housekeeping and maintenance services; reconciles expense or payroll discrepancies; gives or solicits operational information; expedites procurement and schedules, and arranges for meetings, conferences, and social events.
• Composes functional and policy statements, and interpretive memos for supervisor's signature and/or composes material for publication in professional brochures.
• Performs special research, compiles and analyzes significant data, and suggests alternative policies, procedures, or work assignments to improve operations or to comply with changing legal or funding requirements.
• Assists in compiling and documenting funding requests, and in monitoring and controlling program funds.
• Acts on behalf of supervisor in non-policy matters as directed. Composes routine correspondence on behalf of supervisor.
• Maintains policy and decision files, regulations, historical files, and similar documentation applicable to the programs administered.
• Serves as trouble-shooter in solving routine administrative or procedural problems with other departments as assigned.
• Maintains Language Center webpage and updates manuals
• Assists with financial procedures for the Director, including P-card purchasing and payment.
• Performs other work-related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a high school diploma/GED plus 3 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Bachelor's degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
-Microsoft Office (Excel/Publisher/Power point/Word)
-Excellent communication skills (both speaking and writing).
-Knowledge of AV technology
-Speaking a foreign language and English as a Second Language (ESL) tutoring experience
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: Columbian College of Arts & Sciences (CCAS) Family Administration Sub-Family Academic Department Administration Stream Service and Support Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Part-Time Hours Per Week: 20 Work Schedule: Monday-Friday; 8:30am-12:30pm Position Designation: Non-Essential: Employees who are not required to work unless directed to do so by their supervisor. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S007687 Job Open Date: 10/10/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your salary range expectation?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter