The University of Miami Facilities Management Department is seeking a Licensed Electrician who will provide maintenance and repairs to the physical assets of the Coral Gables Campus, to maintain in as-new condition under the guidance of Facilities Management.
This position requires skilled work in the planning, scheduling, organizing and safe guarding equipment, and materials. Duties include all phases of electrical work including construction, alteration, and maintenance of buildings, systems, controls, and components. Incumbent maintains records, files, logs, time sheets, and component drawings.
Oral and written instructions are received in English from the Facilities Customer Service Department and/or the Facility Manager and Leads. The orders are processed as required to keep the campus secure and operational. The incumbent will serve the 24 hour/7 day operation and immediately respond, address and provide corrective actions and measures taken to restore full service in the case of unforeseen emergencies and disruptions to his/her assigned area.
The work requires close coordination, cooperation, and contact with UM community as well as Facilities Management personnel. This position emphasizes teamwork and leadership; and interfaces with code inspectors and regulatory agencies to ensure compliance with all aspects of regulations and compliance in University installations.
The Licensed Electrician will be a team player and coach who adheres to departmental core values and exhibits the University’s DIRECCT Values and Service Standards consistently. He/she will also collaborate with the Facilities Management team to build positive relationships with customers and staff. The incumbent must exercise fiscal responsibility and assist in safeguarding university assets.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:Facilitates compliance with the Facilities Maintenance Program.Ensures the performance of the preventive maintenance program functions in a timely and thorough manner.Ensures electrical work is compliant to codes and workmanship.Continual investigation and implementation of energy conservation and sustainable initiatives.Maintains a valid electrical license and maintains working knowledge on new techniques and codes.Work with inspectors, administrators, coworkers in a team approach; technical advisement to Facilities Planning and Construction.Complies with all Policies and Procedures of the University of Miami. Adheres to all safety and environmental regulations.Keeps thorough and up to date records on electrical work throughout the University. Provides all necessary maintenance and operations information in a timely manner.Requests training as needed in the areas of responsibility.Keeps to schedule and aids in the development of efficient planning.Responsible for making accurate estimates and completing work within the costs estimated.Plans, lays out, and performs work and special projects.Reads and works from prints, sketches, and diagrams. Makes estimates and is responsible for controlling and reporting costs for each work effort.Analyses work orders, trouble reports, performs workflow analysis through the computerized maintenance management system.Assures that work is performed to highest quality at the best competitive price within the agreed time frame.
Reports to the Sr. Facilities Manager.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have formal craft training certification and proven performance in the craft environment of five or more years of licensed journeyman level experience.
- Sufficient physical ability, strength, manual dexterity, and lifting ability to lift, move, or carry 50 lbs. over a distance of 20 feet. This includes but is not limited to handling of construction materials such as lumber, concrete, power equipment, 50 lb. Nail containers, and equipment to be installed.
- This position is essential personnel.
- Must be able to perform shift work, respond to after hours emergency call-in, to work with other crafts and work in environments out of normal duties as needed.
- Willing to work in conditions which are adverse (hot, dusty, cramped, wet, dirty, enclosed); work from heights and in areas where climbing is required.
- Able to operate power equipment.
- Complies with and enforces the policies and procedures of Facilities Management; complies with and enforces all safety rules and requirements.
- Must have good leadership skills “Leads by Example”.
- Must be able to multi-task with strong prioritization, scheduling and delegation abilities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with ability to effectively handle conflict resolution and problem solving.
- Demonstrated skill in understanding and complying with verbal and written communications in English.
- Must have excellent organizational skills.
- Must have excellent people skills in order to build positive relationship with staff, customers and stakeholders.
- Ability to work in a team environment as directed by the management of the Facilities Management to provide a customer-oriented service group to meet the changing needs of the University environment.
- Possess a valid Florida driver’s license, be able to meet the insurance requirements of the University of Miami, and have a good driving record.
- Must have the ability to read blue prints, do material take-off calculations, accurate cost estimating, maintain time schedules, and work with a varied and flexible schedule.
- Proven skills in customer relations, teamwork, cooperation and leadership in problem solving.
- Must have proven emphasis on teamwork, cooperation, customer relations, and leadership in problem solving.
- Has basic knowledge of data analysis and computer skills (to include: Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel).
- Use and input into computerized maintenance management program or ability to learn within six months.
- Must have sufficient physical ability, strength, manual dexterity, and lifting ability (i.e. to lift, move, or carry 50 lbs. over a distance of 20 feet).This includes but is not limited to handling equipment for specialist crafts, carpentry, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, motors, pumps, air conditioning components, lighting fixtures and poles, concrete work, and carpentry. Must be able to work in conditions which are adverse (hot, dusty, cramped, wet, dirty, enclosed); work from heights and in areas where climbing is required up to 40 feet. An outline and frequency of these tasks is outlined below:
Physical Abilities: Amount of time spent in the following activities:
A. Lifting 1. Sedentary 10 lbs maximum frequent
2. Light 20 lbs maximum frequent
3. Medium 50 lbs maximum frequent
4. Heavy 100 lbs maximum some
5. Very Heavy 100 lbs plus infrequent
B. Stooping frequent K. Pulling frequent
C. Kneeling frequent L. Climbing frequent
D. Crouching some M. Balancing frequent
E. Crawling infrequent N. Standing constant
F. Reaching constant O. Walking constant
G. Handling constant P. Twisting constant
H. Sitting frequent Q. Bending constant
I. Feeling constant R. Abnormal Posture some
J. Pushing frequent
Must subscribe to the Departmental Vision and to the Departmental Core Values and DIRECCT Behaviors and Service Standards:
Honesty, Integrity and Ethical Behavior
Respect for Each Other
Providing a high level of Customer Service / Customer SatisfactionApply online. Position #P00016422
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more.The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information-https://www.hr.miami.edu/careers/employment-laws-eo/index.html Come join us!]]>