Assistant Professor of Philosophy
Marian University-Indianapolis, is a Catholic, comprehensive, regional institution of higher education dedicated to excellent teaching and learning in the Franciscan and liberal arts traditions and offers a multitude of undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. Marian University has experienced significant growth over the last decade and is expanding its academic offerings. The Department of Theology and Philosophy seeks qualified applicants for the position of full time, tenure-track faculty member in Philosophy. Area of specialization should include epistemology, with an interest in Thomistic thought and analytic philosophy. Reporting to the Chair of the Department of Theology and Philosophy, this position includes teaching majors, college seminarians, and general education courses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teaching load: 4/4
- Contribution to the general education curriculum, major curriculum, and specialty electives
- Promoting philosophy in the broader curriculum by collaborating with other departments on interdisciplinary and other courses
- Sharing in the ongoing development and implementation of projects within the department, including the Regional Ethics Bowl
- University service, including participation on faculty committees
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of Marian University
- A Ph.D. in philosophy by date of hire
- Capacity for effective teaching
- Potential for ongoing research, publication, and activity in professional associations
Marian University is located within 10 minutes of downtown Indianapolis, Marian University is one of the nation's preeminent Catholic institutions of higher learning, and ranks in the Top 25 of US News & World Report's list of Midwest Region colleges, as well as Money magazine's list of Top 10 schools in Indiana "For Your Money". Marian University was founded in 1937 by the Sisters of St. Francis, Oldenburg, Indiana, and the Franciscan Values that the Sisters ingrained into the university's culture are still prevalent today. The university has experienced tremendous growth in the past 10 years under the leadership of President Daniel J. Elsener, including the opening of the Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2013 – the state's first new medical school in 110 years. Marian University's football team has captured the NAIA national championship in 2012 and 2015 in 9 years of existence. Marian University is also home to the most successful collegiate cycling program in the nation, which currently holds 42 national titles.
Review of applications will begin 15 November 2018 and continue until the position is filled. Applications require a letter of application, a current CV, three letters of recommendation, evidence of teaching effectiveness, and a sample of scholarly work. All applications should be submitted to [email protected].
Marian University is an EOE
Share this job with your network:
Diversity Profile: University
Apply for Assistant Professor of Philosophy
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly