Business Intelligence Analyst
* This position is still open and we are actively searching to fill this position as of 10/1/2018
Who We Are:
The Information Technology Department operates in a support role for every department and school on the University of Colorado Colorado Springs Campus. Offering services from Help Desk to classroom AV support, web development, business intelligence, IT security and compliance.
Nature of Work:
This position exists to support and enhance the university's reporting and analytics system. The University maintains a Cognos Reporting System that is used to develop reporting options for business offices and campus users.
Reporting to the Business Intelligence Analyst Manager, the Business Intelligence Analyst is a customer-centric position focusing on supporting the rollout, administration, and end-user adoption of Cognos and other data visualization tools. This role is the point of contact for ongoing end-user support.
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Responsible for front-line support and administration of enterprise reporting and BI tools
- Perform technical analysis and troubleshoot system problems
- Develops reports and dashboards to support end-user analytics needs
- Collaborates with end users to encourage tool adoption including mentoring, training, and development
- Provide content for the reporting program's communications and training efforts
- Utilize best practices to assist with BI strategic vision and subsequent implementation of strategic initiatives
- Collaborate with end users and developers to determine business requirements
- Communicate requirements to ETL developers and assist end users with User Acceptance Testing (UAT) needs
- Participate in the implementation of end-to-end BI solutions
- Develop complex analytical Cognos reports and/or OLAP cube generation for the UIS department and/or other campus departments as needed
- Utilize best practices to review existing reports, recommend performance improvements, and advise best visual representation of analytics
- Analyze data to help campus customers to identify new BI trends
- Work directly with business users to field support and enhancement requests
- Participates in the development of end-to-end BI solutions
- Complete tasks to improve the predictability and repeatability of business intelligence processes
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Expertise in data visualization including statistical and information graphics and plots
- Strong analytical skills
- Knowledge of data warehouse concepts
- Knowledge of database design and data modeling
- Ability to effectively communicate, in writing and verbally
- Ability to be a team player and highly motivated to work independently
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to communicate technical solutions to technical and nontechnical users
- Enthusiastic service orientation with sensitivity to the needs of users at all skill levels
For the purposes of FLSA this position has been determined to be exempt from (not eligible for) overtime under FLSA.
The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education. A combination of education, technology training and industry certifications, and related experience may substitute for the degree on a year for year basis
- Three years of professional experience developing reports using Cognos version 10 or newer, MicroStrategy, or other report tools to build complex, robust reports, OLAP cubes and dashboards
- Three years of advanced SQL experience
- Three years of professional experience working directly with customers advising them on requirements, providing guidance on analytical reporting methodologies, and best practices
- Reporting experience in a higher education setting
- Experience reporitng on data warehouse data--exposure to star-schema design
- Use of other data visualization tools such as Tableau
- Thorough understanding of the software development life cycle
Special Instructions to Applicants:• This position is still open until no longer posted • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. • Official Transcripts will be required upon hire.
Travel for in-person interviews will be reimbursed. If you are offered the job and do not accept, no reimbursement will be allowed. • The successful candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States upon hire. • The University of Colorado Colorado Springs will not sponsor work visas or permanent resident applications for this position.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Unofficial transcript(s)
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40087 - IT Administrative Operations
Posting Date: Aug 10, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Harper Johnson
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00750820