Assistant Head for Administration - Department of Physics
Assistant Head for Administration
Department of Physics
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Physics at the College of Engineering seeks applicants for the position of Assistant Head for Administration. This position reports to the Head of Physics and serves as a member of the Department's leadership team as the senior financial and human resources officer to provide strategic leadership and planning regarding oversight of fiscal resources, finance functions, research administration, facilities management, and human resource management within the unit.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Financial Administration - 50%
- Responsible for fiscal management and control of all department funds including state and federal appropriations, grants, contracts, gifts, indirect cost recovery, and self-supporting funds. Serves as the primary resource for budget preparation, administrative requirements and approvals for grant proposals. Serves as the department head's designee in a variety of administrative matters with signature authority for business functions.
- Implements departmental policies for the maintenance and management of accounts, monitor expenditures, budget development and preparation of various types of management information.
- Prepares departmental reports and analyses.
- Oversees departmental-level research operations administration. Oversees business managers working in research centers and groups.
- Oversees and coordinates responses related to post-award information and compliance requests. Assists faculty in preparation of grants and contracts, and financial planning and forecasting.
- Oversees the financial aspect of hiring of new staff and determines academic salary recommendations with, and/or on behalf of, the department head.
- Identifies areas of fiscal activity that could benefit from improved processes and initiate the development and implementation of process improvements.
- Oversees departmental contracts and affiliation agreements within the department and subunits, ensuring University policy is followed.
- Serve as department point of contact in matters of cost sharing with College of Engineering, Vice Chancellor of Research and Provost Office.
- Human Resource Administration - 25%
- Supervises and directs the administrative, business/accounting/grants, HR, and facilities staff members which includes delegating duties/responsibilities; prioritizing workloads to ensure deadlines are met and urgent matters are addressed in a timely manner; monitoring productivity and overall performance management; and overseeing progress of short- and long-term unit objectives and goals.
- Serves as the department head's designee in a variety of administrative matters with signature authority for HR functions.
- Provides counsel to department head and faculty in handling personnel issues, advise head and faculty on recruitment of academic and civil service staff (including ODEA/AA) policies as well as provide oversight of payroll and appointment processing.
- Prepares reports and analyses relating to human resources matters.
- Facilities Administration - 10%
- Coordinates management of physical facilities and works closely with the Department Head on space administration as well as facility remodeling projects.
- Serves as the departmental contact with various college and campus offices and divisions including facilities management, space utilization and other administrative functions
- Unit Specific Responsibilities - 10%
- Manage Physics service areas which include the helium liquefier, the machine shop and the different research groups and centers.
- Advise research center and group directors in matters of personnel, space utilization, sub-awarding and reporting.
- Review each area's overall performance based on established measures, evaluate and determine resource allocations for each area.
- Determine staffing levels based on usage and budget.
- Maintain and enhance the strong service orientation of the department.
- Ensure University policy and procedures and relevant state and federal laws and regulations are followed
- Assume additional appropriate related duties to further the mission of the department. - 5%
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree in a business-related area, preferably business administration, accounting, or finance.
- Excellent written/oral communications, interpersonal and teamwork skills essential.
- Ability to exercise initiative, confidentiality, discretion, and sound independent judgement.
- Minimum five years management experience involving administration, fiscal, personnel, and general organizational responsibilities within a large and complex organization with a high volume/time-sensitive workload.
- Commitment to shared decision-making and experience in working collaboratively in a team environment.
- Minimum three years of experience in a supervisory role.
- Demonstrated experience in the area of human resources.
- Experience with conflict management and resolution.
- Ability to interact effectively with faculty, students, staff, alumni and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience with the use of standard office technology and similar management tools.
- Direct experience and knowledge of University of Illinois business and accounting systems, as well as business processes, including HR, procurement, payables, receivables, and policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of and experience working with multiple sources of funds, including state, federal, gift, self-supporting, and ICR.
PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Master's degree in a business-related area, preferably business administration, accounting, or finance.
- CPA designation.
- Six to ten years of management experience involving administration, fiscal, personnel, and general organizational responsibilities within a large and complex organization with a high volume/time-sensitive workload.
- Knowledge of and/or experience in a land-grant university system.
- Experience in facilities management in an institutional setting.
The Assistant Head for Administration position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references as a single PDF by October 26, 2018. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Lori Willoughby at [email protected] or (217) 333-3837.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Title: Assistant Head for Administration - Department of Physics
Open Date: 10/09/2018
Close Date: 10/26/2018
Organization Name: Physics