UNT Controller - 926200
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday
The UNT System Controller department provides all accounting, reporting, and service focused operations for all University of North Texas System component institutions. The areas of responsibility include Campus Accounting & Reporting, Accounts Payable, Payroll, centralized external and internal financial reporting, and external compliance related reporting.
The University of North Texas System is comprised of three component institutions with four major locations: University of North Texas located in Denton, TX, University of North Texas Health Science Center located in Fort Worth, TX, University of North Texas at Dallas located in the Oak Cliff area of Dallas, TX, and University of North Texas System located in Downtown Dallas, TX.
This position is located at our Business Service Center at Woodhill Square, just south of our flagship campus in Denton.
The UNTS Controller Department at the University of North Texas System is seeking to hire a Reporting Analyst to join our team. This position performs highly complex (senior-level) financial analysis and regulatory work. Work involves compiling, reviewing, analyzing, and evaluating financial data; preparing reports and responding to inquiries; and recommending appropriate action to resolve financial and regulatory problems. May supervise the work of others. Works under limited supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
* Assists in the development and preparation of monthly and annual operating statements, financial statements, and complex reports for monitoring and reporting financial information.
* Prepares or reviews other state or federal financial reports, such as Source and Uses report to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and IPEDS report to the Department of Education.
* Prepares data compilation and submission of electronic financial statement data for UNT, UNT Health Science Center, UNT Dallas, UNT System Administration and UNT System Consolidated to the Uniform Statewide Accounting System (USAS).
* Researches and reconciles discrepancies in accounts, funds, or appropriation balances; prepares and audits general journal entries.
* Maintains and determines the accuracy and reliability of agency accounting records, such as expenditure, fund, appropriation, expense and revenue collection records, and ensures agency assets and liabilities are accounted for properly.
* Monitors accounting transactions on state and local funds, and conducts continuous reviews and analyses necessary to ensure appropriate expenditure of funds, accounting treatment, appropriations management, and processing controls are in place in compliance with the provisions of the General Appropriation Act and relevant state statutes and regulations.
* Develops, implements, and maintains internal financial policies and procedures.
* Provides interpretation on technical questions on financial and regulatory compliance in accordance with applicable state and federal statutes and regulations.
* Provides interpretation and guidance for GASB implementations and technical questions on accounting treatment in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and state and federal statutes.
* Coordinates third-party financial reviews such as the financial external audit, including the accumulation of data, financial modeling, reporting, and monitoring of responses.
Performs data validations and recommends improvements, adaptations, or revisions to the accounting system and accompanying procedures.
* Provides interpretation on the use of internal audit and control procedures to determine compliance with agency policies, plans, and procedures, and state and federal statutes.
* Performs related work as assigned.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in accounting, finance or a related field and four years of accounting experience.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures affecting the maintenance of accounting records and automated accounting systems.
* Ability to interpret and apply accounting theory; to work accurately with numerical detail; to analyze, consolidate, and interpret accounting data; and to communicate effectively.
* Experience working in one or more functional areas of accounting.
* Effective communications skills both orally and in writing.
* Skill in using office computer information systems to organize, store, manipulate and retrieve data.
* Strong working knowledge of applicable federal and state laws, and accounting practices.
* Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
* Ability to analyze, consolidate, and present accounting data in clear concise form.
* Ability to plan, organize and effectively manage multiple assignments.
* Ability to work in a fast paced environment, with frequently changing priorities.
* Ability to prepare reports and correspondence regarding findings.
* Focused on providing a high level of customer service and follow-through.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Current Texas CPA license or ability to gain via reciprocity.
* Experience in consolidated financial reporting at a Texas public institution of higher education.
* Experience with the Texas Uniform Statewide Accounting System (USAS).
* Experience with PeopleSoft and Cognos reporting software.
Special Instructions to Applicants
The University of North Texas System seeks an experienced, dynamic, team player with the passion to fulfill the mission of the System and component institutions. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by submitting:
* A letter of application outlining your interest, experience, and qualifications applicable to the position.
* A comprehensive rsum.
* Complete contact references for three references.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary commensurate with experience
Quicklink for Posting